Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPU stress

This topic is 5003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m worried about my graphics card. I recently bought one of these Nvidia Geforce FX jobs, and I''m loving it so far. What i''m wondering is, if I code everything to be done on the card (like all in vertex and pixel shaders) am I going to wear the poor thing out? Should I even worry about that?

LOL It''s incredibly unlikely that anything you do could make it short-circuit or anything. You will probably have upgraded computers 2 or 3 times (made-up estimate) before you could wear it out.

LOL. You cant really "wear it out" just by doing processing on it. I surpose you could argue that the more processing it does, the higher the temperature, and thus the greater chance that any given transister will fail at any one time (and you can lose a fair few before seeing problems), but the effect is so small it doesnt even matter.

Feel free to run the most hienously detailed stuff on it 24/7 and it will prolly last just as long as it would running on the desktop.

You could probably burn out your monitor before burning out your card

Especially if you have a Sony monitor, apparently. (Ravenshield seems to be cooking Sony monitors due to rapid refresh rate changes when detecting best settings).

Guest Anonymous Poster
My old GeForce2 MX 400 32MB has got scorch marks on the heat sink and cuts out occansionally. Reasonable ventilation and no o/c. So whats the problem? Thanks

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
My old GeForce2 MX 400 32MB has got scorch marks on the heat sink and cuts out occansionally. Reasonable ventilation and no o/c. So whats the problem? Thanks

the_problem = My old GeForce2 MX 400 32MB;

"A soldier is a part of the 1% of the population that keeps the other 99% free" - Lt. Colonel Todd, 1/38th Infantry, Ft. Benning, GA