Size of Texture Pak file

Started by
5 comments, last by Wavewash 20 years, 3 months ago
I have a PAK file for my game in which all textures are saved as dds. The file size for 11 textures in the pak file is 2626kb. All 11 textures are 256x256. Is this footprint too large for what I am doing? Is there a better way to store textures? I look at unreal tournament texture files and they are far smaller then what I have and I''m sure they contain more textures. ~Wave
Advertisement
What format are hey saved in? Any number of formats can be used within a DDS. 2MB doesn''t seem horrible, but it depends what you''re doing. Are these all your textures? Is this designed to be downloaded by dial-up users?

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
I can't be sure of the amount of textures that a level will use as i've just built this level editor and havn't had the chance to really use it and see what direction I go in. I would guess a level would have as many as 100 textures in it.
I was hoping that these texture paks could be traded between people online. I am using D3DXSaveTextureToFile to save the texture to a dds file and then I copy the contents of that file into a buffer and put it into my pak with an appropriate header for my program to work with. A texture pak of 100 where a texture is 250kb would come out to 25 megs. And then on top of that I will have level geometry in these files too. I will give that at most 10 megs. It comes to about 35 megs for a fairly extensive level.

I am hoping that people would be able to create their own levels and trade them by uploading them to a website. This is not necessary though. A person could just play the levels that come with the game and the levels they make on their own.

~Wave

[edited by - Wavewash on January 4, 2004 4:52:01 AM]
Heh, a while ago I used to scoff at how big modern games where. "You should be able to do all of that in less than 100 megs!" But then I started to use true 32-bit graphics in my game coding and realized that the unfortunate side effect of those nice, high-color, alpha-channeled images is space.

I don''t know anything about DDS, but you might want to store those textures as compressed. I''m sure DX has a way to do this, as DXTC (based upon S3''s S3TC) is built right in. In fact, I think Nvidia has a plugin on their site specifically for working with DXTC compressed DDS textures in Photoshop.

The good side: Smaller texture pack file sizes. The bad size: Fuzzy, blurry textures that lessen the game''s visual clarity.

---
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]]
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
The DDS file is storing it in whatever format you had the texture in, so if it was 32-bit ARGB, it still is in the DDS. You''d have to convert it to one of the compressed formats if you want to save memory. You can also use the Texture Tool that comes with the SDK to convert them to compressed format, additionally this lets you preview how they look in the different formats.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
The issues with compressing them though is that my level editor saves them straight into the pak file along with the rest of the data. Thanks for the help guys.

~Wave
Compress the whole PAK file...

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement