What do you people expect from a 3D engine license?

Started by
10 comments, last by PixelDuck 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi, When licensing a 3D graphics library (or engine), what do you people expect to get in the package? Do you expect to get the whole source? Or does it suffice to get the header files, which are used in linking with the library, the library it self and ofcourse an extensive documentation explaining the inner doings too? What about if you get it for a lower price, say half the price of Gamebryo with 10% off of the support prices? And would a royalty fee of about 1-2% ruin the deal? And howabout a dual pricing scheme where you could choose between high royalty versus no royalty with a higher per-buy cost? And what do you then expect from an evaluation version? Timo Heubach Graphics Programmer Founder of Radiant Raccoon
Timo HeubachGraphics ProgrammerFounder of Radiant Raccoon
Advertisement
Maybe you should check out
http://udn.epicgames.com/Engine/UnrealEngine2Terms
and
http://www.idsoftware.com/business/technology/
for some ideas about it...
quote:Original post by PixelDuck
When licensing a 3D graphics library (or engine), what do you people expect to get in the package? Do you expect to get the whole source? Or does it suffice to get the header files, which are used in linking with the library, the library it self and ofcourse an extensive documentation explaining the inner doings too?

Make two separate licensing options. A full one with all source, and a less expensive one with libs and headers only. Extensive documentation is an absolutely must for both packages.

quote:
And would a royalty fee of about 1-2% ruin the deal? And howabout a dual pricing scheme where you could choose between high royalty versus no royalty with a higher per-buy cost?

That''s common practice.

quote:
And what do you then expect from an evaluation version?

Full documentation. Full engine capabilities, restricted on a few given sample levels (no export/import and precalc functionality). If the engine was already used in commercial titles, then that helps tremendeously, of course.

- Alex
Hi,

Thanks to you both. The price for the UnrealEngine2 engine is VERY high. Are there any more expensive engines available?

Any other opinnions?

Timo Heubach
Graphics Programmer
Founder of Radiant Raccoon
Timo HeubachGraphics ProgrammerFounder of Radiant Raccoon
www.qubesoft.com

qube engine is mulitplatform and pc version is free

from the guys that made dx for ms.
The Quake 3 engine is about $250,000 I think. And id don''t just license it out to anyone anymore.

If I were going to license an AAA-level graphics engine, I''d expect source, technical support and lots of documentation. And lots of samples and demos to see where the engines strong/weak points are.

My Website | Everything you need to know about 3D Graphics | Google | Search the Forums
@themonkster:
>>qube engine is mulitplatform and pc version is free
do this guys really making money with their product ? *g*g*
i can''t figure out any feature, which isn''t available in other, opensource, engines ?!

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
The value of a game engine goes beyond just the ''features''. DirectX gives you all of the features you really need to make a top-notch game. Ease of efficient implementation, extensive documentation, and support are where it''s at, and I have yet to see an open-source solution that I would rate better than ''poor to fair'' in those categories.

Of course, I haven''t tried the Q engine yet, so I can''t say that it rates any better. The fact that it crosses platforms to XBox and PS2 is certainly an advantage over any of the open-source solutions that I have seen thus far, however.

Peace
For indies, you''ll be hard pressed to find a license better than that of the Torque engine put out by GarageGames. $100 one time fee and no royalties until your sales exceed $50,000 (getting a boxed version out by a big publisher has different rules). The documentaion is weak right now, but they are working on it.

For pro game shops, the quality and features of the engine will definitely have an impact on their evaluation of the license.
here you are...

Irrlicht FREE 3d Engine
------------------------------------------VOTE Patrick O'GradyWrite in Presidential CandidateThe Candidate who Cares.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement