Capturing packets from localhost on a windows system

Started by
8 comments, last by Structural 19 years, 11 months ago
I''m debugging a network application on my windows machine, and because I don''t have a second machine handy, I need to go through the internal interface. However, my current network sniffer, Ethereal, is unable to capture anything from the internal interface as this is apparently a limitation from Windows. Are there any tools out there that will allow me to see what is going over the internal interface? It would really help me a lot. Thanks!
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
Advertisement
Just to make sure... Can you target your sniffer to check 127.0.0.1? That is the localhost address.

RandomTask
Nope, that''s the whole problem. Everything sent to the localhost address (127.0.0.1 as you mention) is not sent to a normally accessible network device in Windows. It''s handled internally, and can not be accessed through whatever API ordinary network sniffers use (I think, that''s what I read on the Ethereal forums).
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
What about targetting the address of your NIC?
Can you not hook the winsock dll API and intercept your desired packets?
you might want to try Microsoft Loopback Adapter. Just search MS site for details.
I haven''t found a packet capture utility or device that works on Windows Loopback. if there is one, let me know.

Also, Microsoft will automatically send a packet to the loopback if they see it for one of their local adapters. So you can''t target your local, non-loopback IP, it''ll still be send over the loopback adapter, so you won''t capture it.

Int.
Have you tried Packet Analyzer ?

http://www.javvin.com/packet.html

-- edit
sadly, I think it doesn't handle localhost ( I took the time to try it after posting )

[edited by - gizz on May 14, 2004 11:24:56 AM]
Why not using your public ip (if you have one) instead of 127.0.0.1 if you have a direct conn to the net ?

- Iliak -
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
I was browsing the Packet Analyzer website today(http://www.javvin.com/packet.html) and I found out that the version PRO support local host. Since I only have the trial "normal" version I can't verify this info

-- Edit
Quote from website ...
Capture all packets transmitted over local host and LAN (Professional edition only )

Gizz

[edited by - gizz on May 18, 2004 11:10:06 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement