Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maxd gaming

What is WxWindows?

DJSnow    100
it''s a crossplatform GUI toolkit,
that you can design and execute your applications
with the SAME gui on each OS;
its available for several systems.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

jdhardy    469
It''s basically a wrapper for the OS''s native GUI toolkit. On Windows, it''s Win32; on *nix it''s GTK; I don''t know if the Mac port is ready yet. It ensures that your programs will have an interface "feel" consistent with the OS that they run on (except *nix/KDE).

It''s really nice to work with, especially in its wxPython incarnation. Why anyone would use the C++ version is a bit of a mystery to me.

DJSnow    100

>>the C++ version is a bit of a mystery to me.
because most people are integrating it directly into their software products, when using it; and this requires the library to be linked with the program, in the case of C++.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

Greatwolf    125
I started trying out wxWindows a few days ago. I have to say it's a very nice framework to work in. I'm still exploring it though and trying to get use to the way events are handled within wxWindows. I did find this tutorial to be quite helpful though so perhaps you might want to take a look at it too.

This link could actually be found under the doc->tutorials section on wxwindows' site.

Say, do you guys know of any decent free RAD tool that could be used with this framework? I tried wxGlade and VisualWX but they both seem a bit unpolished.

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

[edited by - Greatwolf on January 5, 2004 6:59:03 PM]