What is WxWindows?

Started by
3 comments, last by maxd gaming 20 years, 3 months ago
Huh? I have looked on there web page and it is just confusingme to what it is! Check out my Forum My First Space Art (Ever) My Second Space Art (Ever) My upcoming space mod for Battlefield: 1942.
Status: 25% Me and a friend are working on it, we are pretty much ready to release in game screenshots.
The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
Advertisement
it''s a crossplatform GUI toolkit,
that you can design and execute your applications
with the SAME gui on each OS;
its available for several systems.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
It''s basically a wrapper for the OS''s native GUI toolkit. On Windows, it''s Win32; on *nix it''s GTK; I don''t know if the Mac port is ready yet. It ensures that your programs will have an interface "feel" consistent with the OS that they run on (except *nix/KDE).

It''s really nice to work with, especially in its wxPython incarnation. Why anyone would use the C++ version is a bit of a mystery to me.

>>the C++ version is a bit of a mystery to me.
because most people are integrating it directly into their software products, when using it; and this requires the library to be linked with the program, in the case of C++.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
I started trying out wxWindows a few days ago. I have to say it's a very nice framework to work in. I'm still exploring it though and trying to get use to the way events are handled within wxWindows. I did find this tutorial to be quite helpful though so perhaps you might want to take a look at it too.

This link could actually be found under the doc->tutorials section on wxwindows' site.

Say, do you guys know of any decent free RAD tool that could be used with this framework? I tried wxGlade and VisualWX but they both seem a bit unpolished.

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

[edited by - Greatwolf on January 5, 2004 6:59:03 PM]

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement