Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RPGeezus

WTK Device definitions

I''m trying to find some device defintions for the WTK other than the defaultColorPhone-- preferably the more popular Nokias, the Motorola T720, Siemens, etc... Has anyone created some of these or know if there is a repository? I''ve spent a few minutes Googling but have come up empty handed. Happy new year everybody! Will

Hi!

Download the nokia emulators (7210,3510,...) and copy the folders in the devices folder into the wtk-devices folder.
Also SonyEricsson emulators work in the wtk.

Motorola and siemens emulators run in their own environment.

Goto my homepage www.bytemaniac.com , click on the developer section, select j2me to get the links to the developer homepages of the various manufactures.

McMc

Thanks for the info. I''ve already been playing with the two Nokia emulators that come with the Nokia SDK.. I''m finally working out a lot of the display bugs that occured due to different screen resolutions.

I''m wondering how reliable some of the emulators actually are. One of the Nokia''s, for example, doesn''t respond to key events until about a second AFTER they happen. I doubt the actual phone is this sluggish.

Memory usage is another wee problem. My own app requires at least 100k of heap space in order for it to execute in the emulator, BUT, uses LESS than 60k of the heap when it''s actually running. 100k, in my opinion, is a lot of memory.

Is it reasonable to assume that all phones will have at least 100k of heap space? Does the JVM have to use this heap space to load itself or other system resources, or is all of this memory available to the application? I wish the vendors would be more specific about their phones.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Will

I''ve found many discrepancies between devices and emulators, not just memory issues but things like threading and input response times. Off the top of my head...
T720 - threading works differently and images are stored using the current display''s bit depth (that''s Win32 display!) so they can take twice as much memory as on the device (Motorola say that this is correct behaviour, however, that means the emulator isn''t doing its job correctly)
Nokia 7210 - very slow input response in emulator
Sharp GX10 - uses way more memory than the device would

Skizz