Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NeoMage

RPG Feature Ideas

NeoMage    122
If you''ve read my previous post, you know that I''m making an RPG. If you haven''t read it... well, I''m making an RPG. I''ve gotten a bunch of my friends to help me with different concepts, plots, characters, etc., but I think it would be a lot more useful to ask internationally... What is it that you dislike most about the rpg''s that companies are making today, and what features do you want to see in new ones? I''ve decided on a few things already. I want to make a list come up showing all the items a fallen enemy is carrying, that way you can take what you want instead of being randomly given an item that you rarely need. I''m increasing the number of levels a character can reach, and making the frecuency of a level up faster, that way you don''t lose interest when your character reaches Lv. 45 and it takes you a whole week of game play to reach another level. I hate in some rpg''s where a bunch of "different" weapons or items are almost identical to eachother, so i''m making sure that every single item that can be obtained is different from the rest in one way or another. I also hate how every person who isn''t "evil" automatically excepts you. What have you ever done for them!? So I''m making it so you must complete certain tasks (not just killing a boss to move to the next act) to be "accepted" into clans or whatever. I want a bit of diplomatic planning to be involved. The biggest thing I hate is how the people in your party that you like the most are always the ones that end up going off on some mission right when you need them, or you end up with every character possible even though you never use a few because the rest are so much more powerful than they are. It just gets boring because there''s no more challenge, and no "new" people. I want to incorporate the "diplomatic" feature along with the "party" feature so that you can only have either a certain number of people that YOU select in your party, or make it so certain peoples will not simultaneously be in your party. Those are my ideas so far. I want to get feed back on them and any other ideas or questions anyone may have. Also... I want to get rid of my last post about save functions. It''s been answered. How do I delete it? -NeoMage

krez    443
if you are making it so you can have a bunch of people on your partyy, but only actively use a few at a time, you should make the unused ones level up (gain experience) along with the active ones. also, party members you find later in the game should be stronger, relatively.

i hate it when you can''t change guys because you only beefed up three of them for a long time, or you get a new team member who is worthless (but necessary for the plot).

NeoMage    122
I wasn''t actually thinking about having all the possible characters in your party. My whole thing is "it''s lonely at the top". Meaning that after achieving all the "goals" and gaining all the best weapons and skills, games get boring. I know it sounds like it would suck, but what I''m trying to do is expand the whole game while slightly crippling the player so they can''t ever reach a point were it''s gets boring because they''re so powerful that they just run over everything in their path. Reaching a "godlike" status is fun, but I want the player to reach it without "having everything".

What I wanted to do was make it so you have a "job changing" ability without actually having it. Basically you do whatever you want to befriend certain peoples and then hire the person to join your party if you want them to. That way you only get the people you want. Every person will have their own individual advantages and drawbacks. You take who you want to fit your style. And I agree, I hate it when you''ve gotten your favorite three (Why is it always three?) ripped and ready to take on the world, then you get stuck with some measly shrimp that you''re forced to use in the final battle.

I''m going to make it so the plot is flexible to the characters chosen by the player. And you don''t have to worry about leveling the others up because you don''t want to use them anyway.

-NeoMage