Linux on LiveCD?

Started by
8 comments, last by stefu 20 years, 2 months ago
Hello. Hard disk drive of our old P166 computer passed away today But I heard of Linux LiveCD. So they don''t need any hard disk? And I suppose there''s ethernet network support. But is 32mb of memory enough??? Anyway it would be nice to try although I think will get a new hdd soon.. but in the mean time I could burn one. Can you recommend a live distribution? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Knoppix.
LiveCDs are pretty hard on the RAM usage (128 MB minimum if you want it to boot within a couple minutes or maybe even at all). If you get a slimmed down LiveCD it should work just fine (the default Knoppix is pretty heavy; the Morphix project provides some lighter Knoppix-based alternatives).

I was afraid of memory requirement.. not good idea propably.. I tried redhat on that computer once and it was awfully slow with 32mb.. hd was in heavy use.

But is there a super light distro with ethernet and lynx that could run just from couple of floppy disks??
tomsrtbt.

one floppy disk.

there are others.
or trinix.

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
Gentoo has a livecd as well.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Try Damn Small Linux. It''s based on Knoppix and fits on 50MB. It even has X

SwSh website!
quote:Original post by SwSh
Try Damn Small Linux. It''s based on Knoppix and fits on 50MB. It even has X

SwSh website!

I have it and it is very easy to use too
I also have RedHat
same goes to SUSE 9.0 ....... i think....

[edited by - johnc82 on January 29, 2004 12:27:50 PM]
:-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement