Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectX, n00b needs help!

This topic is 5091 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, here''s the situation, I''ve started looking through tutorials and I found one that just renders a spining cube in VB.Net. I then modified it so that I could "walk" through the world using the arrow keys, but now I want to enable a freeview camera using the mouse(like in any shooter). I tried using Form_MouseMove() to check when the mouse moves, but it doesn''t execute... I was wondering if someone could please tell me how to get working freeview camera.

I don''t know any DirectX sites that have VB.Net Direct Input tutorials off the top of my head. However, your should be able to look at the Microsoft DirectX SDK documentation under Direct Input to get started.

Have your Independent Game reviewed on the Freelance Games review ladder. www.FreelanceGames.com

Actually I prefer not to use DI since I heard somewhere that it slows down performance a bit. Instead I''m using VB.Net''s built in stuff. I got it to finally recognize mouse movements (the site I got the snippet from did not have the complete Sub decleration) but I''m unsure of what to do with the X and Y coordinates that I got in order to move the camera.

Well you should be able to get the maths from just about any decent website or game project hell I bet that if you search the forums you''ll find it.. However I really think that you should use DI instead of VB''s built in functions cause AFAIK DI''s faster and DI''s got a whole set of features that you''re probably going to want later on.