Book/Engine question

Started by
1 comment, last by PoLiSh_Peta 20 years, 3 months ago
I''ve heard that Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX uses scripting. Does this mean that the book teaches an incorrect form of game programming? What about an engine? Does it teach you how to create an egine that you you can build on and reuse in projects? Also, if I installed DirectX 9.0, do you think I could make most of the code work that''s in the book, even if it uses 8.0 ( cause I here there''s a relatively small jump from 8 to 9, unlike the jump from 7 to 8 )? Thanks
There are two inevitabilities in life: death and failure.-PoLiSh
Advertisement
Read the "What''s New" Section of the 9.0 SDK. to figure out the minute differences.
Jim Adams book, "Programming Role Games with DirectX" comes with a complete 3D engine. This is both good and bad; it is good because it can get you coding right away; and it is bad because it teaches you to rely to the engine. Generally, if you are new to DirectX it is a good book because there is a lot of code to help get you through difficult spots.

Have your Independent Game reviewed on the Freelance Games review ladder. www.FreelanceGames.com

[edited by - Sean Doherty on January 4, 2004 10:51:55 PM]
_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement