Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raptor

Heres my Game Demo.....

Raptor    122
Rough-Terrain Explorer Demo i have put up my game demo at this URL : http://raptorentertainment.hypermart.net/Downloads/RoughTerrain.zip check it out and let me know! Read the Readme.txt for details before running it. let me know about the performance on ur config as well. thnx a lot! I also got to thank WitchLord for all the help he has rendered to me on ICQ. notice that i just changed the link, i have my own website now and its www.raptorentertainment.com or http://raptorentertainment.hypermart.net Please put up ur comments as well as suggestions for improvement. Edited by - Raptor on 8/13/00 12:24:12 PM

Steven    136
On my PII-333 Celeron, G400 32MB DualHead, 128MB Ram, Win 98SE system I get between 40 and 50 fps.

Good engine, I especially (sp?) like the ''Flubber car'' demo after you drive up a hill forwards and then hit reverse...

cyberben    122
PIII 533mhz w/ 128mb ram, Voodoo3 3000 w/ AGP disabled ==> 60fps

Very nice... make the camera follow the car. That''d be a little easier to explore... and (in my head ;-) is easy to do.
- Ben

Raptor    122
Thnx guys,
About the Camera follow i have already implemented it.
Just hold down "F" and move the Buggy around.
Also use "N" "U" "J" "H" to navigate around the terrain.

The Snow part sucks though and i am yet to add a light map.
Please see that u turn off ur VSync before running it to get the true FPS.

Thanks a million for ur cooperation,
btw i get 120fps on my PII 350,64Megs RAM , Savage 4 chipset(Diamond)

(most of u guys r getting 60 fps thats becuz ur monitor's refresh rate is 60hz.)and u havent turned off VSYNC.

Edited by - Raptor on July 21, 2000 1:35:21 AM

Raptor    122
I shall be implementing the Interpolation part yet and be uploading an update on the same site.It will be out in probably a day or two!

Raptor    122
Microsoft Visual C++ & DX7.
I am uploading the fixed up demo now!
chk it out.

nes8bit-i havent yet turned off the VSync!
(sorry about that!)

Eric    138
140 fps on P733 w/ GeForce2 (my refresh was at 150 Hz). Nice car model, though it''s textures were kinda bland.

Raptor    122
I have uploaded the new demo.
Now the Wheels rotate backwards as well and the Buggy orients itself with the terrain while moving backwards.It also remains oriented while turning around.
In the Models directory i have included 3 other 3d models.please do comment on how good they are.

Thanks once again,
Raptor

X-Man    122
Nice Terrain, car model and movement. I particularly like how the car follows the terrain(was this one of your earlier posts?)

In a future version, I'd like to see the camera automatically follow the car. Also, to be a game, it needs a purpose, like find & pick-up items or run over something. Good start though...its fun just to drive the car around.

I get 19-20 fps on a P233 with a ATI RageII board.

Edited by - X-Man on July 21, 2000 8:45:41 AM

Danielillo    122
Nice Landscape!!

I get 35-40 fps (P233 64Mb, ATI RAGEII 4Mb).
On my computer, when you are moving around the camera, it gets stuck for 1-2 seconds every 10 or so rendering squares. I noticed that when it happens you are including or excluding squares from the rendering. How do you do the rendering? Maybe you can improve it using a quad tree, or easier. Do you use an array, and render only the 10x10 square zone where the camera is? If you are using an array for the landscape, try getting the camera direction (without the vertical component), and with the camera horiz-FOV and a far-plane distance, select from the array only the visible polygons (it''s just like filling a triangle, but reading polys from the array). You can improve it further getting this far-plane distance from the angle between the camera and the horizont.

What i am just saying is that if you are using an array to hold the landscape (what i guess you are using), do your own clipping and send to rasterization only the polygons that are visile. This is easy to do with a landscape because you now before hand a lot of info about the geometry you are rendering. This can improve your perfomance, and make it posible to render the landscape to a further distance.

BTW, the landscape is really very nice. I like the car also. You made a great work!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
How did you check the fps and what the hell is V-sync?

davior    122
FPS can be attained by putting a counter with in your scenedrwing loop, and capturing the time, so that every second the (1000 ms) the value of the counter is displayed and reset to zero. Checkout these winAPI functions for a timer:
SetTimer()/KillTimer
OR
GetTickCount()

I recommend the latter.

davior

davior@post.com
ICQ#47741212

Raptor    122
quote:
Original post by Danielillo

Nice Landscape!!

I get 35-40 fps (P233 64Mb, ATI RAGEII 4Mb).
On my computer, when you are moving around the camera, it gets stuck for 1-2 seconds every 10 or so rendering squares. I noticed that when it happens you are including or excluding squares from the rendering. How do you do the rendering? Maybe you can improve it using a quad tree, or easier. Do you use an array, and render only the 10x10 square zone where the camera is? If you are using an array for the landscape, try getting the camera direction (without the vertical component), and with the camera horiz-FOV and a far-plane distance, select from the array only the visible polygons (it''s just like filling a triangle, but reading polys from the array). You can improve it further getting this far-plane distance from the angle between the camera and the horizont.

What i am just saying is that if you are using an array to hold the landscape (what i guess you are using), do your own clipping and send to rasterization only the polygons that are visile. This is easy to do with a landscape because you now before hand a lot of info about the geometry you are rendering. This can improve your perfomance, and make it posible to render the landscape to a further distance.

BTW, the landscape is really very nice. I like the car also. You made a great work!

Thanks a lot for ur advice!
I will be implementing a faster load method.I am yet to implement the Quad tree method and HSRs.so it will be much faster.The next thing i would like to mention is the Demo automatically synthesizes the terrain texture at run time based on heights.U may find a little time delay while moving around the terrain.For focussing on an object hold down the "F" key while moving it.I shall do the auto lock on and upload it shortly.

Thaks a lot , all of you guys, for the interest u showed.
I''ll keep this thread as updated as possible.

Raptor

davior    122
FPS can be attained by putting a counter within your scene drawing loop, and capturing the time, so that every second( ie.1000 ms) the value of the counter is displayed to the screen and reset to zero. Checkout these winAPI functions for a timer:
SetTimer()/KillTimer()
OR
GetTickCount()

I recommend the latter.

My understanding of vsync, is that a monitor draws it''s screen line by line, pixel by pixel (left to right & top to bottom). This is very similar to the way a graphics program draws it''s data to the screen from the buffer. In the buffer is the data for each individual pixel on the screen, and this is drawn every time your scene drawing function is called. The problem is, is that everytime your program reaches the part of your code that transfers this data from the backbuffer to the screen, it is very likely that the screen is half way through drawing the last cycle(from the buffer). This causes the program to have to wait for the monitor to prepare itself to draw the screen from scratch, and it can cause flickering as well as slowing down your FPS. But with vsync enabled, your program compensates for this, by letting it finish the line it is drawing at the time, so that there is no inconsistancy in the drawing of the screen, and therefor no flickering, and faster FPS

davior
davior@post.com
ICQ#47741212