• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge Speed Decrease. Please Help

This topic is 5165 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I just finished my 2D font class. And finally i wanted to see what FPS i was running at. (I already had a timer class) So i set it up and display the FPS on the screen with this new 2D text class. The FPS is 12! That is absolutly terrible when all i am drawing is the text and 1 quad. So what i do, is stop drawing my text and instead write the same FPS to my log file. And i get FPS like 500-800 FPS. I was wondering if you could look at my draw function and tell me what is making it SLOW slow. Thanks void CWindowsFont::BuildFont(char *FontName, int Height) { HFONT font; HFONT oldfont; base = glGenLists(96); font = CreateFont(Height, 0, 0, 0, FW_BOLD, FALSE, FALSE, FALSE, ANSI_CHARSET, OUT_TT_PRECIS, CLIP_DEFAULT_PRECIS, ANTIALIASED_QUALITY, FF_DONTCARE | DEFAULT_PITCH, FontName); oldfont = (HFONT)SelectObject(g_hDC, font); wglUseFontBitmaps(g_hDC, 32, 96, base); SelectObject(g_hDC, oldfont); DeleteObject(font); CLog::Get()->WriteLog(true, "Created 2D font %s at a height of %d sucessfully", FontName, Height); } void CWindowsFont::RenderText(int x, int y, char *String, ...) { va_list List; if (!strlen(String)) return; va_start(List, String); vsprintf(Buffer, String, List); va_end(List); glPushAttrib(GL_TRANSFORM_BIT | GL_VIEWPORT_BIT); glListBase(base-32); glPushMatrix(); glLoadIdentity(); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glPushMatrix(); glLoadIdentity(); glColor4ub(Red, Green, Blue, Alpha); glOrtho(0.0f, 640, 0.0f, 480.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f); glRasterPos2i(x, y); glCallLists(strlen(String), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, Buffer); glPopMatrix(); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glPopMatrix(); glPopAttrib(); glColor3f(255, 255, 255); } And if you see a problem, how can i speed it up? "What we do in life, echos in eternity" -- Gladiator [edited by - SkinnyM on January 4, 2004 8:47:12 PM]

Advertisement
I''m curious -- what was the problem? That''s a big fps drop, lol.

The problem turned out to be that when i was passing in the FPS to the RenderText function, i passed it in as a va_argument. And for some odddddddd reason, it was clipping the last number. So instead, i just used sprintf() and passed in a single string to the function and all works fine now. So it turned out to be nothing wrong with the opengl code. Now i am running at 600 FPS!

"What we do in life, echos in eternity" -- Gladiator

• Advertisement