Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khaos

Javascript file IO

Is it possible to read ASCII or binary files, and/or write ASCII or binary files using javascript? If so, how? I have not been able to find any documentation on it. Thank you.

The idea would be using LiveConnect - a feature to instantiate Java classes from within JScript. Sad thing the idea has two catches:

LiveConnect only existed in older Netscape Browsers - current Versions don''t do it anymore, neither does IExplorer.

If you could create the instance, I doubt it would work as Java run in Browsers has a very restrictive SecurityManager which will probably disallow File access. I assume you could circumvent this by using certificates (or whatever they are called in Java).

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you''re hoping to have access to a client''s file system from a web page script you''re out of luck.

You''d have to get the user to install an activex control that allowed your script access to the filesystem.

I hope no one would ever install something like that!

There does not exist any simple (see ActiveX comment above) way to access client files. That would be such a security hazard! How would you like a website being allowed to read (and write!) to your password files, system files, etc?