Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hardware transformation

This topic is 5092 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Can I use a T&L hardware to light a VertexBuffer, then get Lit Vertex ? and, Can I use Hardware to transform a Vertex buffer with a matrix (rotate or translate) ?

Not only can you do those operations, but they are the whole point of hardware T/L
As for reading the calculated lighting back from the T/L card, I''m not sure... but in general you shouldn''t need to do that anyway.

-Nik

T&L will do that for you definitely, but you should NEVER read back a vertex buffer from the card like that...

see if you can use a shader to interpret the data, that way it stays put on the card.

If you are asking, if you can use T&L hardware to transform a buffer and read back the transformed data back, then the answer is no. Current hardware does not store the transformed data in a buffer you could access.

quote:
Original post by VolkerG
If you are asking, if you can use T&L hardware to transform a buffer and read back the transformed data back, then the answer is no. Current hardware does not store the transformed data in a buffer you could access.

That''s what I thought. Never had to try such method

-Nik