Connected Rigid Bodies

Started by
2 comments, last by Hybrid 20 years, 3 months ago
Does anyone have some good links for information on programming and resolving physics whereby two objects are connected together using a joint of some sort. I''ve looked at the Open Dynamics Engine to get a little overview on how their joints are put into place. Though I''m more after information on how you handle the forces exerted on each object by the other via the joint. Thanks for any info/pointers.
Advertisement
try http://www.win.tue.nl/dynamo/publications/bartbthesis.pdf it''s a thesis describing Dynamo (Dynamic Motion Library).
FYI,

The author of ODE has written a chapter for Game Programming Gems 4, due in March. That chapter describes, in what I consider to be a very intuitive manner, the way to program different types of rigid body joints. Examples are provided for ODE, but the chapter is not ODE specific. (I''m the editor for the physics section of that book, so I was able to work with the author. In the end, I''m extremely pleased with the chapter he developed.)

Also, David Eberly''s new book, "Game Physics," discusses Linear Complimentary Programming (LCP) technique used to solve for constraint forces.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Thanks for the replies. I did notice that new book you mentioned Graham is about to release in the UK. I might have to pick up a copy, as constraints are a big part to a project I am doing on connected objects - which is why I''m trying to gather research on it now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement