Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgoewert

Orthogonal Techniques Questions

jgoewert    146
I am using an engine that basically makes a call through to either the Open GL or DirectX ortho functions, but I am encountering some issues that I don''t understand if they are correct or not. Every Orthogonal tutorial I have seen says to set the min and max values to -1 and 1. But when I do this, anything that I set to more than 1.0 on the Z axis doesn''t render, which I almost understand. So, since I place 3D elements up to 16 units away on the Z, I set my min and max distances to -16 and 16. Is this a valid way to use Ortho views or should I be handling the rendering order and putting every block in the -1 to 1 Z-axis range? The second part to the question lies in a tutorial I wrote. http://www.saigumi.net/archives/000067.html The engine I use has a function that looks like the OpenGL and DX Ortho view functions. MyMatrix.buildProjectionMatrixOrthoLH(16.0f,12.0f,3.5f,-3.5f); But if I swap the min and max numbers as the tutorials I have seen do, the rendering order is backwards. (Look at the bottom of the guide. Am I thinking about Ortho views wrong and doing everything backwards?

Squirm    481
Most people are using ortho to display in 2D, in which case -1 to 1 will work fine. If you using it for 3D, then no, -1 to 1 won''t work atall and you need to set them to sensible values, ie your -16 to 16. It''s fine. Don''t worry about it :o)