Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cippyboy

3 Texture units

cippyboy    223
I just viewed some Serious Sam 2 engine information and it was stated that they use->Standard Texture,Detail Texture,Shadow Map Texture. And all that works on a 2 texturing units video card. One more interesting thing was that they used the GL_ARB_texture_env_combine in all that . So I figured that this texture enviroment let`s you use one more texturing unit...somehow. I never used it but I image that Standard and Detail Map go for 1 and 2 texture unit and the shadow mapping is made somewhat similar to alphamapping... So... how did they do it ?

cippyboy    223
I read theyre documentation notes and faq and it writes(taken from http://www.seriousengine.com/bin/view/Engine/Technology)
->
"
- Multitexturing

SE supports multitexturing only thru OpenGL extension GL_EXT_TEXTURE_ENV_COMBINE. If the OpenGL driver doesn''t support this extension, SSam uses only single texturing. This could have a performance impact if your board has relatively low fill rate (<150 Mpix/s) and you''re playing at high resolutions (1024+). At the beginning, only nVidia and ATI supported this extension. However, 3Dfx Voodoo4/5 also has this extension, so Serious Sam uses multitexture on those boards too. Matrox and S3 have told us that they''ll incorporate this extension soon (in the next version of their driver for G400 and S4/S2K, perhaps?). Sorry, Voodoo2/3 users, but on those boards this extension will never be supported due to lack of hardware capabilities.
"
It`s kind of out of date but it`s the facts