Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grasping the concept between 2d and 3d engines.

This topic is 5092 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I really haven''t done much DX work, so please bare with me. It seems like there is a whole crap load of 3d engines, but is there any "2d engines" or are they incorperated into a 3d engine? Does anyone know of a good engine that can render good 2d \ 2d particles? Thanks

If i were you i would use Direct3d or the direct x api for you game. Direct3d can handle 2d sprites and particles perfectly. You just have to make wrapper classes instead of writing an engine.

quote:
Original post by Iceman48
You just have to make wrapper classes instead of writing an engine.

That makes no sense.

quote:

It seems like there is a whole crap load of 3d engines, but is there any "2d engines" or are they incorperated into a 3d engine? Does anyone know of a good engine that can render good 2d \ 2d particles?

I haven''t seen a good 2D graphics engine in a long while. It seems everyone and his brother seems to think every game must be 3D these days. The closest thing I can think of is a sprite engine called, I think, Kyra. It was written for use with SDL. However, there''s no particle system, IIRC.

A basic particle system is insanely simple to do in 2D. Using a 3D API such as D3D or OpenGL will make adding nifty features easier (glwoing, fading, for example), but it''s not impossible to do with traditional methods.

This is actually a plug for a friend of mine, Lee Thomason. He made this game called BEM: It Came From the Net some years ago on OS/2. (BEM stands for Bug-Eyed Monsters.)

Now, his 2D engine is called Kyra. It's written in C++ with SDL and OpenGL. It's different from a lot of other stuff I've seen, because it renders everything like an object-oriented 3D engine would. It puts everything in trees versus arrays, and it does not distinguish between background and foreground. There really is no actual layering system at all. The only thing from the STL that it uses is std::string, but every other container is home-grown.

You can get it at http://www.grinninglizard.com/kyra.

==================
Benjamin Heath
==================

[edited by - Benjamin Heath on January 7, 2004 1:20:41 AM]

Since 2D programming is (in general) easier and less mathematically complex, reuseable 2D engines are on the whole less necessary, and so people just tend to write a whole new one each time.

If it comes too I''ll probally use a 3d\3d combination, the question is; how much more difficult is it to do it in 3d (the coding side)?

I''m just gettting into the 6th chapter in RPG programming with DX, so I''m still a bit foggy on how D3D(I guess the 3d side of DX) works.