[java] books for intermediate programmers

Started by
7 comments, last by ARCHIGAMER 23 years, 8 months ago
What are some good books to buy if you are at an intermediate level in java?
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
Advertisement
Core Java Volume 2 is good, and covers a lot of good topics.
author of the Helping Phriendly Book
I recommend the "Patterns in Java" series written by Mark Grand and published by Wiley. They probably won''t teach you anything new about Java, but they can help you make the next step up as a Java programmer.

ManaSink
I found ''Java Game Programming for Dummies'' was a suprisingly good buy. It assumes you know classes, inheritance, interfaces and all that jazz. Then it shows the basics of animating sprites & collision (pool,golf), designing games in OO (card games, puzzle games), sprite engines (pac man-ish maze game), and it even touches on 3D engines. It doesn''t go real in-depth on any of these topics, but it does give you enough to start exploring on your own. The only thing I didn''t see in it, nor any java gaming book for that matter, was scrolling. I don''t know what people do for this in java. I guess that''s what ScrollPanes are for.
I mean basic java not specifically game programming
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
Do you mean side scrolling games super mario bros or space shooter style? For this you probably wouldn''t want a scrollpane. I think scrollpanes are for app type stuff like in a browser. You should use sprites for this. If you want to have a background image always painted you could have and array of images that in a line form the level and write a algorithm to display the images depending on the players position. I have tried these and the sprite method worked good. However when I did the array of images I was doing the game with 1024x768 images(only around 4 of them) and it hurt the framerate bad.
is java 2 the complete reference any good?
quote:Original post by Icculus

Do you mean side scrolling games super mario bros or space shooter style? For this you probably wouldn''t want a scrollpane. I think scrollpanes are for app type stuff like in a browser. You should use sprites for this. If you want to have a background image always painted you could have and array of images that in a line form the level and write a algorithm to display the images depending on the players position. I have tried these and the sprite method worked good. However when I did the array of images I was doing the game with 1024x768 images(only around 4 of them) and it hurt the framerate bad.

Yes, i find the framerate of painting an array of images unacceptable. I''ve started a level editor that can handle a map much larger then the pre-calculated one in my engine without the lag. But there is also no collision detection in my map editor. I will have to try ScrollPanes in a real world situation.
"I''ve started a level editor that can handle a map much larger then the pre-calculated one in my engine without the lag"
Cool, what sort of tricks did you use to make it lose the lag?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement