Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NeHe's base code or GLUT??

This topic is 5088 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im a n00b to windows programming but far from n00b for c++. im looking for the best cross platform portability. i know GLUT is pretty easy but how easy is it for NeHe''s base code?

For cross platform glut is easist, SDL is better but a bit harder(I dont know SDL myself). I personally use the windows API, although next project i start I plan to take the time to learn SDL.

I believe that each of NeHe''s tutorials has a GLUT version, but then again they also have a SDL version too (as well as any number of other ports). They''re all some of the best tutorials I''ve seen.

I reccomend SDL because it was designed for game development and has tools to support that (sound, video, network, input, openGL, file loaders, etc) and GLUT was designed for quick and easy prototyping applications. Either will work just fine, but if you''re going to learn one, I recommend SDL for cross platform game development. Both are relativly easy (easier than the windows API-IMHO), each with a relativly small learning curve to get over.

Either way, once you get your application base code done, you normally don''t mess with it much. All the fun stuff is usually seperate from the code that sets up the application.

Cheers,

Bob

----------------------------------
Halfway down the trail to hell...

is creating the window the only thing that i should use GLUT for? i want to add some things like loading files and maybe 5.1 sound. i can just use regular c code right?

ok i have changed my mind and went straight windows (for now...) and re-adopted NeHe''s base code. my only problem with it, a problem i have always had unfortunatly, is the double buffering. whenever i enable it i get a z fighting sorta problem. in the pixel format it is set to double buffering, and i left the SwapBuffers() function in its place in the main loop. any ideas on how to fix it and make it run smoother?

Hey adam

not sure I understand the problem you are having but I've used windows API, glux and SDL and I strongly recommend using SDL.

As scourage mentioned it supports most operating systems, it simplifies setting up windows, has loads of support and libraries for handling images, audio, text and works great with opengl.

For more information goto libsdl.org.

[edited by - trager on January 10, 2004 4:38:36 AM]