Building a commercial-like game using only python

Started by
9 comments, last by darkbard 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi guys. Do you think I can build a commercial game using only python as porgramming language?? It could be too slow?? tnx
Advertisement
Short answer... No.
Why not?

Maybe if I rewrite bottlenecks using C the game could run faster ...
umm... then you wouldn''t be only using python...
Its possible to write a suite of card games written in python and sell that.
You could also probably write any turn based game you felt like
Uh hum... does python have graphics support? The only text-based games that I know of that will sell now-a-days are hacking games.
=============================All knowledge is good; only the way it is put to use is good or evil.
quote:Original post by dist0rted
Uh hum... does python have graphics support?

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Well, you are thinking in the right direction. You don''t have to use just C to write your games. In fact, the Unix philosophy is set against this. That''s how Python and numerous other scripting languages were born!

I would write the executable in C. Period. This is the program that loads up the scripts and data. Then it tells Python (the interpreter) to "do that voodoo that you do (to my scripts)."

Any process that''s very "heavy" (graphics, streaming, process control...) should not be written in Python in the final build. Those need to be hard-coded. (And the Unix philosophy also encourages you to use existing libraries of satisfying quality, but do help other dev''ers where you can.)

Use python for other things, especially things in your game. That way, game objects can be represented by scripts that are turned on and off.

Golden Rule: Use common sense.

==================
Benjamin Heath
==================
quote:Do you think I can build a commercial game using only python as porgramming language?? It could be too slow??

It depends on what you mean by commercial. If you mean Quake 4, then no. But you can write smaller games that run fine written in Python using Pygame (http://pygame.org/)

quote:Original post by dist0rted
Uh hum... does python have graphics support? The only text-based games that I know of that will sell now-a-days are hacking games.

Yes. http://pygame.org/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement