NWN like graphics

Started by
8 comments, last by darkbard 20 years, 3 months ago
i guys, what kind of graphical engine does never winter nights use? Is that 3D?? or something like isometric game? Can anyone post me links to resurces about NWN-like game development?? bye
Advertisement
Have you tried the NWN homepage? They have a developer section you should look at.
I looked at the NWN developer section, but I find out only informations about file formats... nothing about the graphical engine
nwn is a 100% 3d engine (just look around with the camera to see that).

if you tried the level editor you could also easily tell that its tile based.

with the recent addon hotu (hordes of the underdark) they also have sky support.

resolution:
nwn uses a 100% 3d tile engine, optimized for a view from above.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/lousyphreak/
Good.

And you know where I can get an open source or free 3d-tile engine?
It''s been a long time since I have looked at it, but I thought it was a 2.5D game. It has 3D tiles, but no tile can be placed above another, so you can''t have, say, buildings with more than one storey or spiral stairways.

Am I wrong?

yckx
True, the levels themselves are 2D tile based with height information, while the graphics engine is a 3D engine.
So they build the floor using 2D tiles and then they place 3D objects over it?

There are free/open engines that works like this one?? I need ''em because I have to write a simple NWN-like game as soon as possible for my University ...
The floor is made using 3D tiles. There is a tutorial how to make them using 3D Studio, but I can''t remember where I found it (it has been some time).
darkboard:
It should be fairly easy to take a standard 2d engine and change the drawing part to 3d. The rest stays the same as handling of the entire game logic is done in 2d just the graphics output ''pops'' a third dimension onto that (think wolfenstein3d).

You basically pass something like
Graphics->playerPosition(1,1);
Graphics->enemy1Position(2,5);
Graphics->enemy2Position(5,5);
Graphics->enemy2Position(2,2);
and the Graphics class knows how to draw this stuff. The only problem i see here is that when you use 3d display and use a Point''n''Click system ala NWN is you have to get the 2d position of your 3d click.

A big advantage is though that you can easily switch the drawing code with a simple 2d renderer (check glHack).
http://mitglied.lycos.de/lousyphreak/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement