Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AceRimmer

XBOX

I asked this on the beginner forum, though I think it''s a little complex for anyone there to answer and there are just a large amount of views with no response. The question is: Does anyone know how MS are going to be able to run shaders from the original Xbox games on Xbox 2 which is using ATI technology, not Nvidia hardware. Will there be significant issues with shader compatibility?

XBOX pixelshaders and vertexshaders are still in text format aren''t they? They are compiled and uploaded to the card on the fly. As long as the new ATI card in the XBOX2 is still ps1_1 compliant (which is *very* likely) then they shouldn''t have problems with compatibility.

quote:
Original post by FReY
XBOX pixelshaders and vertexshaders are still in text format aren''t they? They are compiled and uploaded to the card on the fly. As long as the new ATI card in the XBOX2 is still ps1_1 compliant (which is *very* likely) then they shouldn''t have problems with compatibility.

XBox shaders are vs.1.1 AND xvs.1.1, ie There are extras made available that only work on nVidia''s XBox GPU. Some aspects of this could easily be translated to an ATI equivilent. It''s sure to be a faster GPU, so if emulation requires a translation to more instructions, it won''t matter.

However, there are some things the XBox GPU does that might be a stumbling block for ATI. Some of it is things that aren''t covered in the shader spec. Some of it is things that are normally prohibited by the shader spec. It''s these things that would require ATI to make a custom specialized part that emulates the XBox behaviour... depending on ATIs design, it may be easy or hard to incorporate these changes to mimic nVidia''s internal structure.

I haven't heard about XBOX 2 being backward compatible with older games.

I don't know where you got the information, but I would suspect Microsoft will follow Sony's example and find a way to allow this.

[edited by - FaR on January 6, 2004 4:04:37 PM]

AceRimmer... Like that name

"Kryten,unpack Rachel and get out the puncture repair kit! I''m ALIVE!"
"Smoke me a kipper, skipper, I''ll be back for breakfast!"

... could go on forever... who does not like red dwarf (at least the first few series) is a morron :D

Slightly off topic, I know. See it as a welcome post...