3DS Max/Coord System problem

Started by
2 comments, last by paul8262 20 years, 3 months ago
I have another problem when exporting from Max into the engine,that someone may be able to help with. I export an animated character(character studio)from max,all is good except that when imported into the engine,it is layed back.(no not very relaxed) its on its back. | ()|------| Is there an easy way,that when i create a biped in max,i can just rotate the biped,to be in this position |-----|() which fixes the problem on a non animated mesh. Though after applying Physique,and creating a .fig file,after i have re-loaded the .fig file or load a bip file,it will return the biped back to the first position(above). Is there a simple way,i can change the coords in max to fix this? I don''t know why this is happening,as when i export from other packages such as TrueSpace,GameSpace,MilkShape etc,it has been in the correct position. Thanks, Paul. |
Advertisement
3DS Max has a different default mapping mode to most other 3D applications. If you look in the bottom-left hand corner of the 3DS Max Perspective view, you''ll notice that the Z axis points straight up, not the Y axis. In OpenGL / Direct3D, it''s generally accepted that the Y axis points up. Basically, your model is being loaded correctly from the file, but your program interprets the vertex data differently to 3DS Max.

This is a problem that''s encountered with MD3 models, but it''s easily corrected. When you''re working with the model, load the transforms and rotations your application requires, but before you render the model, add a -90 degree rotation around the X axis using glRotatef(-90.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f) or it''s D3D equivalent. This solves the problem (take another look at the Perspective window to see why)...

Windows 95 - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can''t stand 1 bit of competition.
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
Alternatively, just swap the Y and Z values when you load the model.

---------------------------------------

Let''s struggle for our dream of Game!

http://andrewporritt.4t.com
Thanks guys,got it all working properly now

Paul.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement