Help me understanding vectors.

Started by
15 comments, last by Erik23a86 20 years, 3 months ago
A vector has a x,y,z value. But what does the x represent and what does the y represent and what does the z represent?

Thanks.

The One.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Erik23a86
A vector has a x,y,z value. But what does the x represent and what does the y represent and what does the z represent?

Thanks.

The One.

The vector V then is assumned to be the vector with it''s tail at (0,0,0) and it''s head at (x,y,z).

Try reading some of this:

http://mathforum.org/~klotz/Vectors/vectors.html

In your case for a triangle:

an example is three VERTEX''s?(sp?) with vertices

[0,0,0], [5,10,0], [10,0,0]

How can (for example) that a triangle has a vector? What does the vector say about the triangle (or the points)? And why can the normal and collision be calculated with vectors?

Thanks.

The One.
A triangle has 3 corner points.
A vector is a direction. This is usually expressed as a point, and the direction is then along the line through the origin (0,0) or (0,0,0) and the point.
In 3D programming this is often thrown together and everything is called a vertex, used for both points and directions. If you are confused about which vertors a triangle has then maybe you are confusing the two.
So if I understand it correctly, the vector between the points (1,-1) and (-2,3) is a vector with a origin of (0,0) and an end of <-3,4>. Like in the picture.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

The One.
I think I understand it. A vector discribes a ''path'' how to go from for example point A to Point B.

Many thanks to all. You were very helpfull.

Thanks.

The One.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement