Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coleco

Opinions please...

Ok, I got a pretty good D3DX sprite system going and I even have an "ok" texture quad sprite system working (for 2D game). My plan was to use the D3DX sprites for tiles and almost everything else and use the quads for things like "bendable" tiles, sprites, etc. My question is: Shall I call it good and see how the engine performs or should I spend another week or two optimizing the engine? Some things I know needs to be made better are the quads. I need to get batching working because I am doing a draw primitive on each sprite which sucks. But, I can still get a ton of sprites on screen at a good frame rate. Thanks! cb

I''d make sure it all worked how you wnated it before you start optimising, there''d be nothing worse than having to go back and rewrite your optimised sections because of some small problems in practical use

Optimizing very early is a bad idea, as the previous poster has said.
However, batching is really an essential concept. You should design most of your systems from the ground up to support batching. For a sprite system, you''d use a common dynamic vertex buffer that''s filled with sprite data every frame (which is what ID3DXSprite does).

Muhammad Haggag