• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johan_swe

Iterate trough std::map

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My program crashes when I iterate through a std::map. m_pTextureLoader is a pointer to an object that loads textures (the file names) from directories and stores them in a std::map. The key in the map is the directory of the loaded texture and the second, a std::vector, contains strings for every available texture in that directory. The texture loader has a function that returns a pointer to the texture map. When I iterate through the map, the program crashes when it reaches it++ (which is after the first directory).
typedef std::map<std::string, std::vector<std::string> >	TEXTUREFILENAMES;

m_pTextureFileNames = m_pTextureLoader->GetTextureFileNames();

//for each directory

for(TEXTUREFILENAMES::const_iterator it = m_pTextureFileNames->begin(); it != m_pTextureFileNames->end(); it++)
{
//for each texture

for(DWORD c = 0, d = 0; d < it->second.size(); c++, d++)
{
//Do something

}
}

Advertisement
Make sure that "do something" does not erase the iterator or delete the map.

[edited by - DrPizza on January 6, 2004 4:10:22 PM]

Hum, could it be that you have it++ ?
try having ++it instead or otherwise the first iterator might get wrong?

Not sure why... but try that?

I think that the for loop might mess it up; on the last iteration, i.e. end-1, the condition is still fulfilled. But on the next step, it gets incremented, so on the last loop, you''re actually modifying a non-existent entry.

To simplify everything, I just use

while( it != m_pTextureFilesNames.end() ) {
// code
// next iteration
++it;
}

quote:
Original post by psykr
I think that the for loop might mess it up; on the last iteration, i.e. end-1, the condition is still fulfilled. But on the next step, it gets incremented, so on the last loop, you''re actually modifying a non-existent entry.

The loop is correct.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!