Windows XP and DLLs

Started by
28 comments, last by llvllatrix 20 years, 3 months ago
a 3-1 lane freeway?
Am I close?
The Love Of Trees
Advertisement
Got me...The last guys who wrote this didnt know c++ before they began the job...
I think, I''m not positive, but I think they were trying to tell the compiler to look in either the default directory or the current directory, possibly the drive letter.

I know that when you use directories in a string you need to add an extra slash, ie. "home//personal//data". This is due to c++ using the ''/'' key to activate functions within the string such as newline or the like. So if this is the case then they added too many slashes.
Dreams arn't just dreams, They're a whole new world to play in.
quote:Original post by Steelrose
I know that when you use directories in a string you need to add an extra slash, ie. "home//personal//data". This is due to c++ using the ''/'' key to activate functions within the string such as newline or the like. So if this is the case then they added too many slashes.

You don''t learn, do you? GRRR!

\\?\ represents the root of the Windows file system, and can be used to access files with otherwise inaccessible names as "con" or "nul". \\?\C:\windows is equivalent to C:\windows.

The documentation for CreateFile states for the filename argument:

In the ANSI version of this function, the name is limited to MAX_PATH characters. To extend this limit to 32,767 wide characters, call the Unicode version of the function and prepend "\\?\" to the path.

See Naming a volume[MSDN] for more information.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Didn''t I just say that? Arild Fines, you really don''t listen very well do you?
Actually, no, you didn''t say that. You said they were telling it to look in the current or default directory. \\?\ tells it to look in the root of the file system.
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
I know that when you use directories in a string you need to add an extra slash, ie. "home//personal//data". This is due to c++ using the '/' key to activate functions within the string such as newline or the like. So if this is the case then they added too many slashes.

You don't learn, do you? GRRR!

\\?\ represents the root of the Windows file system, and can be used to access files with otherwise inaccessible names as "con" or "nul". \\?\C:\windows is equivalent to C:\windows.

The documentation for CreateFile states for the filename argument:

In the ANSI version of this function, the name is limited to MAX_PATH characters. To extend this limit to 32,767 wide characters, call the Unicode version of the function and prepend "\\?\" to the path.

See Naming a volume[MSDN] for more information.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]

Just a question, Mr Fines, but wasn't it "\\\\?\\" instead of "\\?\"?

*never mind, figured it out!

[edited by - strider44 on January 9, 2004 9:18:10 PM]
The Love Of Trees
SiCrane - I also said I wasn''t sure about it. But anyways, this little tidbit was useful for my own reference. You see I had not heard of the useage of "\\?\" before so I just used information that I knew of and tried to compare. The double slash is one that I use quite often in my own program so I looked at "\\?\" in the same context. However the "\\?\" seems to be utilised only on windows based platforms. I''m working on a cross-platform program so I don''t see a use for it. But that''s me. If I am mistaken on the windows only portion, please let me know so I may look into using it in my own program.

Oh and Mr. Fines, I do learn, I learn quite well, else I wouldn''t have gotten my own program as far as I have. I have to wonder though, why is it that you always seem to make a problem larger than it is. I never said I was perfect. I am learning just as everyone else in this forum. If you have a problem with me you can email me at any time and we can badger back and forth to your hearts content.
SiCrane - I also said I wasn''t sure about it.

You gave a guess, which was extremely vague, totally useless and to a large extent wrong. I gave him a precise definition, with links to back it up if he wanted to investigate further.

Here''s a clue for you: If all you have is a guess, *don''t* post. It''s as simple as that. If you don''t know what you are talking about, don''t impose your vague notions upon others. It only serves to confuse them.

The fact that you don''t seem to know the difference between a forward and a backward slash certainly doesn''t help your (nonexistent at this point) credibility.

quote:
I am learning just as everyone else in this forum.

What you really need to learn is to listen(read) more and say(write) less.

quote:
If you have a problem with me you can email me at any time and we can badger back and forth to your hearts content.

Not going to happen. I see nothing useful coming out of a private conversation with you.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
SiCrane - I also said I wasn''t sure about it.

In that case you shouldn''t be accusing Arild Fines of not listening well. In this particular instance, you were the one not listening well.

quote:If I am mistaken on the windows only portion, please let me know so I may look into using it in my own program.

That''s exactly what I was doing, so there''s no reason for getting defensive about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement