Windows XP and DLLs

Started by
28 comments, last by llvllatrix 20 years, 3 months ago
Just wondering if anyone has ever come accross this problem: The program loads dlls as plugins. The plugins are kept separately from the main program. Everything compiles and runs and the program runs fine in Windows XP Home edition. When you go to any other os (including professional edition) the program cant load the dll files. Unfortunately i cant post any code...sry. Just wondering if you guys may have any ideas as to what the problem is. TIA
Advertisement
Because of the way different OS''s do things, you need to compile on each OS so the OS can read it correctly.
Dreams arn't just dreams, They're a whole new world to play in.
When you say that it runs fine in Windows XP Home, does that mean it works on all computers running Windows XP Home or just 1 computer running Windows XP Home?

If your answer is just 1 computer, then my next question would be if this is the computer you compiled/developed your program on.
I doubt it is an OS problem. What is more likely is that you are missing some dependencies. Download and run Dependency Walker[1] on the plugin DLLs(on the target system, of course). This will tell you which additional DLLs you need to redistribute - most likely the C or C++ runtime.

[1]www.dependencywalker.com

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Steelrose
Because of the way different OS''s do things, you need to compile on each OS so the OS can read it correctly.

A kind suggestion: Don''t give any more advice on these forums. Ever.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines

Do you get off on making fun of people? Does it make you feel like a bigger man? You learned at one point too. Why dont you not post until you learn some manners. There is no reason for comments like that on this fourm. If you have to fulfill some need of yours by saying things like above, go to some general fourm where nothing is taken seriously.

"What we do in life, echos in eternity" -- Gladiator
quote:Original post by SkinnyM
quote:Original post by Arild Fines

Do you get off on making fun of people? Does it make you feel like a bigger man? You learned at one point too. Why dont you not post until you learn some manners. There is no reason for comments like that on this fourm. If you have to fulfill some need of yours by saying things like above, go to some general fourm where nothing is taken seriously.

It is generally a bad idea to shoot off ones month at a far more experienced member. Arild Fines''s comment, while obviously harsh, was completely justified. The advice given by the poster in question was complete and utter bullocks (translation: It was wrong in many ways, and generally horrible advice to give. If the user has other posts like this it may even suggest they are intentionally trolling)
I will stop after this post because i really like to ask questions on this fourm. You are right, he is a far more experienced member than me, the point i was trying to make is i believe this fourm is bigger then petty insults at people who for all you know, are completely serious and just trying to help.

People give wrong answers all the time, they are trying to help. This case was no different until a insult was thrown that has no place here. But i will be quiet and hopefully i wont get banned from these fourms because i really enjoy them.

[edited by - SkinnyM on January 6, 2004 10:59:50 PM]
quote:Original post by SkinnyM
people who for all you know, are completely serious and just trying to help.

That''s what scares me the most. People shouldn''t "try to help" at all if they have no clue what they are talking about. Other people who are learning will not recognize the fact that the advice is completely and utterly clueless and actually take it seriously.

In this case, the advice was so bad that it made me angry, and I felt that some amount of harshness was warranted. If the reply had included some disclaimer to the effect that the poster might not actually know what he was talking about, I wouldn''t have spoken up, and merely pointed out how inaccurate it was.

Bad advice is worse than no advice at all. The road to hell is paved with good intentions etc etc...
And yes, I do get off on shooting down clueless posters who give clueless answers in an authoritative way. It makes me feel really good about myself.

Does that make me a bad person?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement