Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tilex

Multiple objects

tilex    122
Hi everyone, I''m newb to openGL and I found out that awesome tutorial ( yeah no jokes ) but I wanted to know that: in games like RTCW or MOH (return to castle wolfenstein and medal of honor) there''s often a lot of crates, boxes etc... How do they do that... they can''t just write a million times glBegin ( GL_QUADS ) .... if they have a million boxes, so how is it possible to do that without writing about 11 millions lines of codes only for those boxes ( 1,000,000 is big I know but it''s an exemple, even 10 boxes would be pretty long ) Thanks for every reply

skow    248
Don''t stop reading the new tutorials, alot of that is explained. There are many things that can be used: display lists, vertex arrays, vertex buffer objects.

hplus0603    11347
I think what's important is not the realization that you can submit data as geometry arrays (which is a good way to submit data) but the fact that you can read the data to submit from a file.

At its easiest, you could think of a mesh file on disk as containing lists of coordinates, and read it like so:

FILE * f = fopen( "file.mesh", "rb" );
glBegin( GL_TRIANGLES );
while( fscanf( f, "%f,%f,%f", &vert[0], &vert[1], &vert[2] ) ) {
glVertex3fv( vert );
}
glEnd();
fclose( f );

Now, this would clearly have terrible performance, but it would have the right idea: data comes from files on disk, data should NOT be hard-coded into the program.

To make if efficient, pre-process the files on disk into a binary format, and read in an entire vertex array in one swell foop; then issue the entire array using glDrawRangeElements().

Edit: and, clearly, you'd load this data ONCE on level load, not each time you needed to draw the mesh :-)

[edited by - hplus0603 on January 6, 2004 7:09:05 PM]

MessageBox    109
1. Load in one box mesh at the start of the level.
2. Load in the locations of all the boxes for the level.

3. During rendering -->
for (int i = 0; i < numBoxes; ++i)
{
DrawBox();
}

There''s a bit more to it than that but that''s the basics of it.
You only have to create/load the actual box mesh once and then redraw it many times, in different locations.