Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

normalme

why is c# better for game development than c++(you can be vague)

normalme    122
i have a few guesses, is it the syntax of the future? is it optimized for preformance? is it optimized for clarity? is it the language that you can use java with?

caesar4    100
garbage collection ONLY!!!!

quote:

Dick''s Lemma:
"Just because you`re paranoid doesn`t mean they`re not out to get you."

The Programmer''s dilemma:
"Programming is like sex: One mistake and you''re providing
support for a lifetime."

HippieHunter    130
It''s simple. No pointers, no malloc, no templates, more basic functions already available to you from microsoft, Longhorn(in all its bad''ness). But since you have asked why is it better im not going to say its shortcomings.

Dobbs    164
quote:
is it the syntax of the future?

The syntax isn''t hugely different from C/C++/Java.

quote:
is it optimized for preformance?

That''s a pretty meaningless question since C# is a language. You can''t really say a language is optimized for performance, although you could ask whether a C# compiler produces nicely optimized code.

quote:
is it the language that you can use java with?

That''s extremely vague, and bordering on meaningless. Use java how?

normalme    122
is there a difference in preformance between c++ and c#,

and, i thought that c.net had a java interface, i was more like wondering if c# was the same language that the c.net compiler uses cause theres a free c# compiler that i might download and jump on the bandwagon.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Doesn''t any C# developed program presently require the client (person running the program) to have the .NET Framework installed presently?

that alone is it''s greatest shortcoming imo.

c++ > c#

Ademan555    361
There is a quote in one of my c++ books that goe something like this "the most important thing that c++ inherits from c, is its speed" c# doesnt... c++ > c#

teamonkey    200
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Doesn''t any C# developed program presently require the client (person running the program) to have the .NET Framework installed presently?

that alone is it''s greatest shortcoming imo.

That will change. You only need to download it once, and it will be stuck on cover discs and distributed on CD with commercial apps that need it. And it''s an integral part of Longhorn.

[teamonkey]

Rule    122
quote:
Original post by Dobbs
quote:
is it optimized for preformance?

That''s a pretty meaningless question since C# is a language. You can''t really say a language is optimized for performance, although you could ask whether a C# compiler produces nicely optimized code.

You can certainly design a language in such a way that it''s compilers have an easier timer generating optimized code. The question is wether C# was designed to be easy compilable (is that a word?).

Enselic    829
I just tried C# after some years with C++, and there''s one thing that strikes you; productivity. You do things 10 times faster in C# than i C++.

Fidelio66    164
It is much more powerful, it has all features of C++ and then some more.
It is also more efficient for prototyping and quick test apps, all you need is a form that you create and run, only a few lines of code without bothering with a wndproc.

But to be honest, all the forms/event/property stuff of the forms has been available since 1995 as Delphi. This is just Microsoft''s implementation of those great ideas.

Performance wise, it''ll be somewhat slower, but a decent programmer can avoid that.

Why not try Dark Basic or Blitz Basic,or even 3D Game Studio?
I hear that these are also much more easier than c++ too.
and is geared towards making games.

On the Dark Basic website,he boasts he can print 'text' to the screen in under 3 commands -Lol- sorry i couldn't help it.

[edited by - Johnny Carmackle on January 7, 2004 9:04:22 AM]

Imperil    100
quote:
Original post by johnny carmackle

It isn't! its slow

I'll be sticking with C++

LOL

you call 95-98% of the top performance of C++ slow?

rofl I find it funny when I see people complain about speed/performance with C#. The reason is because if you aren't writing 100% optomized C++ code than yes, C# will be faster in many cases due to the fact that if you follow the guidelines it is fairly optomized on first write. Once the C# 2.0 spec is released with Whidbey the compiler is even more optomized, plus generics/anonymous methods, etc.

The funniest thing is though that I'm guessing most of the people posting about the great speed of C++ haven't been able to use it at maximum performance with optomization (and probably idle around 80-90% of the maximum performance of the language/compiler), which in the end could mean C# programs running faster than their own in C++ =]

Now don't get me wrong. I am not an idiot that goes around wearing a shirt saying C# or C++ being a propaganda wagon for the language like a lot of people. I think the biggest thing people need to realize is that they are all just tools to use, nothing more. It all depends on what you are trying to do, as I will use either C, C++, C#, ASM, or IL ASM depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

[edited by - Imperil on January 7, 2004 9:38:06 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Imperil
The funniest thing is though that I''m guessing most of the people posting about the great speed of C++ haven''t been able to use it at maximum performance with optomization (and probably idle around 80-90% of the maximum performance of the language/compiler), which in the end could mean C# programs running faster than their own in C++ =]
<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - Imperil on January 7, 2004 9:38:06 AM]</SPAN>

Huh? what the cuckoo is that supposed to mean? Haven''t seen such gibberish in a long time here...

Imperil    100
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Imperil
The funniest thing is though that I''m guessing most of the people posting about the great speed of C++ haven''t been able to use it at maximum performance with optomization (and probably idle around 80-90% of the maximum performance of the language/compiler), which in the end could mean C# programs running faster than their own in C++ =]
<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - Imperil on January 7, 2004 9:38:06 AM]</SPAN>

Huh? what the cuckoo is that supposed to mean? Haven''t seen such gibberish in a long time here...

Why are you one of them?

Language is the least of the worries when you''re talking about speed and performance. Half the people posting take it as gospel that you can have a horribly coded C++ application run faster than a perfectly coded C# or java program which is simply not the case at all.

Gibberish? Maybe you have problems with the english language? I clearly stated that most people DO NOT code to maximum optomized performance. There are MANY ways you can solve algorithms or tackle problems, and most people are not able to do it at best possible level.

Now if you have an application that isn''t fully optomized (which is much harder to do in C++, trust me I had to do it professionally for year!), than your optomized version is obviously going to run faster, language is not the issue.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by normalme
why is c# better for game development than c++(you can be vague)

it isn''t.

most of libaries/engines are still written in C/C++ for C/C++ and that''s going to stay like that for some future years.

for proper game development there''s more than just using a language. furthermore only a few platforms can run C# code, plus you and your customers need the runtime framework as well.

the language itself may be fine but as said there''s more to it than just a language.

maxd gaming    100
quote:
Original post by Dobbs
quote:
is it the syntax of the future?

The syntax isn't hugely different from C/C++/Java.

Now I kind of disagree with that, as C# is largly more Event based then C++ (not saying you cannot use it "un-eventbased")

It probably isnt the "syntax of the future" as that is quite an ignorant question, since syntaxes (whats syntax's plural?) are all different and always will be, I foresee thhe future syntax to be graphical, not text based but that is just my opinion.

Edit: Compining multiple posts (wasn't paying attention, kept replying to peoples ignorance while displaying my own )
quote:
Original post by johnny carmackle

It isn't! its slow

I'll be sticking with C++

Well, why don't you program in straight optimized ASM? Speed is not an issue, otherwise people would still use ASM... Computers will continue becoming faster and speed will continue becoming less of an issue. Games used to be programmed in ASM then they advanced to slower but easier to use languages such as C, soon they will advance to slower but easier to use languages such as C#.

Edit: Same as above

quote:
Original post by Ademan555
There is a quote in one of my c++ books that goe something like this "the most important thing that c++ inherits from c, is its speed" c# doesnt... c++ > c#

C#'s speed is almost equal to c++ for directX now... the only shortcomming I can see is that it doesn't have a TRUE OpenGL interface (I know there are "emulated implementations" but no true official implementation)

Edit: Had multiple implementations of my sig, since I was combining!

It's Maxd Gaming, put in an underscore and I will beat you with a rubber ducky!
{ Check out my Forum } { My First Space Art (Ever) }{ My Second Space Art (Ever) }{ My upcoming space mod for Battlefield: 1942. }

[edited by - maxd gaming on January 7, 2004 8:08:01 PM]

[edited by - maxd gaming on January 7, 2004 8:08:42 PM]

[edited by - maxd gaming on January 7, 2004 8:09:21 PM]
Raghar    96
Java is more multi OS (and have OpenGL libraries, and would have nanosecond timer in next version)
Let C# take over VB applications, so we could have more effective languages in the game development. (and lets hope that next C++ compiler would be multipass and would have some of C# advantages implemented)

BTW I use ASM. (After while ASM programming you'd know that even C++ is so slow) ~_^

[edited by - Raghar on January 7, 2004 8:19:10 PM]

maxd gaming    100
quote:
Original post by Raghar
BTW I use ASM. (After while ASM programming you''d know that even C++ is so slow) ~_^
[edited by - Raghar on January 7, 2004 8:19:10 PM]

rofl...

It''s Maxd Gaming, put in an underscore and I will beat you with a rubber ducky!
{ Check out my Forum } { My First Space Art (Ever) }{ My Second Space Art (Ever) }{ My upcoming space mod for Battlefield: 1942. }