Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which book to get?

This topic is 5086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been reading a C++ Tutorial for somtime , and is getting close to finishing it. I want to start knowing 'bout Game Programming. I thought I would get <tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, 2nd ed.> , but i thought it's a bit expensive. Is a good alternative? Or do you guys have better suggestions? [edited by - Cris987 on January 6, 2004 11:15:34 PM]

I would go with Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days by Clayton Walnum. It teaches DirectX 8 and by the end of the book you learn how to make a 2D RPG. It''s a great beginner''s book IMHO. Tricks is a really good book as well, but I feel that Clayon Walnum does a better job explaining things such as tilemaps and extracting bitmap images from a tileset. You should seriously get both of them, but Sams would be a better first book, however.

-noix-

In this world gone mad, we won''t spank the monkey; the monkey will spank us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have the Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days. It''s seems good, but it doesn''t use all of what''s learned in the book in the game it spends making in most of the book. The game''s graphics look really bad, but I just skimmed through the game making part, since I don''t want to waste my time with it. But it looks like a 8-bit game with sprites in black boxes. I don''t really know what a good game programming book is for beginners. I heard good things about Programming RPG''s with DirectX.

The tricks of the windows game programming guru''s, while an older book is a wealth of information. As long as you can use DirectX with Dev C++ (you can) you will be fine with that one. Not sure about the Sam''s book.

"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed!"

Grellin
GDUnion.com

NB: both books are actually by Sams.

I have TOTWGPG, it seems quite good, but I''ve not read the other to be able to compare the two.

Also, TOTWGPG has awful coding style, so don''t take any lessons in anything not directly games-related from his code.

Dev-C++ is fine, but you have to remember to link libole32.a for some of the later tutorials, which he doesn''t tell you to do because you don''t have to in MSVC++. Also, you have to get the Dev-C++ specific version of DirectX. Of course, these apply to any DX book.

As for too pricecy: I got mine second hand off Amazon.co.uk. I don''t know where you are, but I just spent 10 seconds going to Amazon.com and found a copy for under $19, if you''re one of those American people.

quote:
Original post by James Gregory
Also, TOTWGPG has awful coding style, so don''t take any lessons in anything not directly games-related from his code.

Also his writting style can get alittle annoying with the hey dude attitude

It''s Maxd Gaming, put in an underscore and I will beat you with a rubber ducky!
{ Check out my Forum } { My First Space Art (Ever) }{ My Second Space Art (Ever) }{ My upcoming space mod for Battlefield: 1942. }
Hmm...very strange. I live in Canada, so I went and check out Amazon.ca for <tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus>. I searched many times, but the closest book I could get was <tricks of the Game-Programming Gurus also by Andre Lamothe>. Are they the same book?

quote:
Original post by Cris987
Hmm...very strange. I live in Canada, so I went and check out Amazon.ca for <tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus>. I searched many times, but the closest book I could get was <tricks of the Game-Programming Gurus also by Andre Lamothe>. Are they the same book?

Since you are learning I HIGHLY STRESS not to buy that book. It is rotten to the core as a book to learn with due to bad style, bad teaching, etc.

I would most likely recommend Programming RPGs with DirectX found here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931841098/104-9863773-0425547?v=glance

I would rate it at about 230490293878 times better than the Tricks book. =]

Well i own the tricks book and well its big. there is a wealth of knowlage in that book its like 3 books in one. The amount of knolage about AI, Physics, and DirectX is way worth the price. I really dont mind his writting style and well though his coding style is crap its really not too hard to fix. btw i might just buy miself a copy of STY game programming with directX its 12 bucks

[edited by - QzarBaron on January 7, 2004 8:10:16 PM]

The Game Programming with DirectX book uses a newer edition of DirectX than Tricks book and it''s supposed to be pretty easy for a beginner since it uses 2D with Direct3D and not 3D. Although like I said above(AP) the graphics of the game they make isn''t that good. Though they explain more advance things(I only skimmed through, just starting to read it right now). I read nothing but good reviews of the game and haven''t come across a bad one yet.