Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Haytil

DirectX 9 and Direct Draw

Hi, I''m trying to adapt a book on DirectX 7.0 to use with DirectX 9.0. I was told DirectX 9 re-incorporated Direct Draw (which was removed from DirectX 8), and adapting 7.0 code would not be very difficult. Unfortunately, I have gotten very confused. If someone could post some code regarding the basics of setting up a DirectX 9, I would greatly appreciate it (creating the interface, setting the cooperative level, creating a surface, just the basics). I have tried looking on google and going through forums and articles, but have found nothing. Also, the DirectX 9.0 documentation has left me confused (this is the first time I''m learnign DirectX). Also, I cannot download the DirectX 7.0 SDK from anywhere (unless you can find a link? I need the SDK, not the regular libraries for users), and the CD that came with the book is damaged. Thank you -Gauvir_Mucca

From what I understand starting from directx 8 they pretty much got rid of direct draw and put it in with direct3d. The book that im reading (the zen of direct3d game programming) explains all of the 2d stuff for direct3d very well. I suggest looking into that.

i dont think DirectX9 has bring DirectDraw back, it''s only made ID3DXSprite more powerful, which is MS wanna replace DirectDraw functions.

DirectX9 SDK has very good/amount of samples for u to follow, just look at them.

u still can download DX7SDK from MS web, here''s the link i just search over MS Download site (126MB):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win98SE/DXSDK/7.0a/W9X/EN-US/dx7adxf.exe

DirectDraw has NEVER been removed. Due to Microsofts COM policies older interfaces are NEVER to be removed to keep things compatible.

You can always ask for a DirectDraw(7) interface. You can use the DX9SDK and DirectDraw will be in there. The latest (and probably last) DirectDraw interface is nr. 7. It''s still good enough if you only do plain 2D.

Nevertheless, in the long run you''ll be simply better off using Direct3D to render 2D stuff. A wee little bit more to do to get it running but you get alpha blending and rotating and scaling with highest perfomance.