Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raptor

Heres my Game Demo.....

i have put up my game demo at our website : www.raptorentertainment.com Heres a picture - check it out and let me know! Read the Readme.txt for details before running it. let me know about the performance on ur config as well. thnx a lot! It requires Directx 7.0 and Windows. It also needs a 3d accelerator card.It is a demo showing real time terrain implementation.It is about 1.08megs. please check the thread on WitchLord's forum Directx/OpenGL/Glide........... thnx in advance! Raptor Edited by - Raptor on 7/25/00 4:04:21 AM

You can indicate the req. of this program. Or indicate this need opengl, directx7, ... Because is not funny download some that cannot work in the pc.

I get about 85fps on my P3-450 with 64MB RAM, Diamond Viper V550 gfx card. It looks a bit crude but there are no bugs, as far as I could see it. It will take some time before I''m able to do something like this.... Gotta code

quote:
Original post by Arjan

I get about 85fps on my P3-450 with 64MB RAM, Diamond Viper V550 gfx card. It looks a bit crude but there are no bugs, as far as I could see it. It will take some time before I''m able to do something like this.... Gotta code

Hey,what do u mean by crude?
is it about the terrain or.....?
please give me better comments
( i mean more detailed )

Raptor,
I''m very impressed with this demo, so don''t mistake my comments for criticism :-)
The "crudest" think that I see is the "popping" that the car undergoes when it transfers from one polygon to another on the ground. I think it would look much slicker if the car were to gradually rotate between the two angles. (Quaternions, perhaps?)
The only bugs I found are 1) that you fail to restore surfaces once they are lost (toggle away from and back to your app to see what I mean) and 2) that pressing "w" toggles the wireframe mode every frame (instead of just once per press of the key).

Again, I''m very impressed, and look forward to seeing any improvements you add in the future.

...Syzygy

Hi Syzygy,

Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Well i am yet to implement the interpolation.
and about the lost surfaces,i have fixed it already but i am yet to upload.thnx a lot for ur reply.

Thnx once again,to all of u,for ur time and patience!
Raptor.

pretty cool demo ... i get like 75 fps on PIII-450 + TNT2 + Win2k (not the latest drivers -))

just 2 questions

1. ...is the landscape a real model or created using height maps?

2. Are u using "gravity" in your game or is it just movin on the top of the polygon its on?

thx and bye =)

Hi,
the landscape is created out of height maps.
I am just orienting the Buggy based on the polygon it lies on.
I plan to create a strategy game out of this engine.this is just a demo of the engine.
u can check out our website www.raptorentertainment.com for updates.

Later,

Edited by - Raptor on July 30, 2000 3:11:32 PM

That's pretty l337 yo..

Here is a pic of my engine:

I am still working on a simple BSP tree deal at the moment.. It's a fully working first person engine.... Gravity, movement, etc... Collision detection is almost done (you collide with everything, even steps!).... Hasn't been released yet..

If you like, we might be able to share some terrain technology ideas with you, look at the screenshots here:

http://www2.jps.net/~johncb/
we used layered texturing for our terrain.. really neat...

Edited by - Chazz on July 30, 2000 4:12:41 PM

I could have installed it wrong but after I run it, I minimized it (because all I had was a white screen with a window title bar at the top) and I right-click on it and select minimize and there is an error messagebox saying:

failed to load specified X obj file or something.... I click on about 10 of those and then it quits with an invalid page fault.. any suggestions?

NM: I forgot to unzip using folder names... hehe. stupid me

Edited by - Chazz on July 30, 2000 4:13:30 PM

just thought you might like to know....

28~39fps(29fps most of the time)

400 Celeron
64mb
No 3D Card
Win2k Pro

heh noticed that the wheels some times(mostly on steep slops) will drop through the bottom of the ground....

Great Milenko

Words Of Wisdom:
"Never Stick A Pretzel In Your Butt It Might Break Off In There."

http://www.crosswinds.net/~milenko
http://www.crosswinds.net/~pirotech