Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Utwo

Best free compiler / IDE combination?

Utwo    100
I was about to download Dev-C++ 5 beta with MinGW 3.2, but I heard that MinGW 3.2 has some problems and that I should download an earlier version. So...do you think I should try Dev-C++ 5 beta without MinGW, and then get an earlier version of MinGW off the official site? What version would you recommend? Are there any better compiler/IDE combos available for free?

hammerstein_02    134
It might be just me, but I think he said FREE.. Visual Studio is far from free, and obtaining it illegally is very wrong. DevC++ is a good package, download their last stable version and you should be ok. I personally opted for investing in a standard copy of Visual C++ 6 a while back and I thought the small investment well worth it.

teamonkey    200
What problems have you heard about MinGW 3.2? GCC 3 has very strict C++ standards, which is what tends to break most programs, even those which 2.95 would compile.

I've been using Dev C++ for a while now. It's excellent, considering it's free. The fact that you can easily download and install packages containing SDL, Allegro, the DirectX SDK, wxWindows is really great. But yes, debugging is a chore.

If you're looking for a really great IDE to use with MinGW, then Eclipse is one of the best I've used. If you've done any Java programming you'll know how easy it makes things. You'll need to download the CDT (C Developers Toolkit) module, and you have to download and install MingW separately (it doesn't run out of the box like it does with Dev C++).

[teamonkey]

[edited by - teamonkey on January 7, 2004 4:09:40 AM]

Aldacron    4544
Another option for MingW is MingWStudio. It''s a relative new comer, but I find it more intuitive than DevC++. Each release adds new features, and the big one I''m waiting for is Workspace support which is right around the corner. Plus, there is a linux version as well.

Ritual Magic    132
You could also try eclipse. I haven''t used it for C++ but it''s pretty good for Java. Not sure how to go about setting up the C++ end of things on it, but it can be done - I''m sure instruction are on the website...

http://www.eclipse.org/

RM.

nate0326    138
quote:
Original post by neurokaotix
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect 2003

I am assuming that you legally bought that package, right?

maxd gaming    100
quote:
Original post by Aldacron
Another option for MingW is MingWStudio. It''s a relative new comer, but I find it more intuitive than DevC++. Each release adds new features, and the big one I''m waiting for is Workspace support which is right around the corner. Plus, there is a linux version as well.

Hmm, MingWStudio is my IDE of choice, and I own a version of VC++ (an older one but.. still). Now I am not an extremly advanced user but...

It''s Maxd Gaming, put in an underscore and I will beat you with a rubber ducky!
{ Check out my Forum } { My First Space Art (Ever) }{ My Second Space Art (Ever) }{ A upcoming space RTS codenamed Gruntacktica . }{ . }
YoshiN    122
quote:
Original post by Aldacron

It''s pretty cool but I wish it had code completion for user defined functions/classes. That is my favorite feature of VS.NET and Dev-C++ (although it''s still buggy in Dev-C++). Hopefully it will soon.

caesar4    100
Get a Free VC++ academic edition
VC++ is almost free for learning
the high price comes for when you want to release a product written with VC++

quote:

Dick''s Lemma:
"Just because you`re paranoid doesn`t mean they`re not out to get you."

The Programmer''s dilemma:
"Programming is like sex: One mistake and you''re providing
support for a lifetime."