Why does GC resident evil remake look so good?

Started by
21 comments, last by iNfuSeD 20 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by PumpkinPieman
I was always wondering how the RE games always looked so amazing, I always assumed they used pre-renderd 3D backgrounds.

It IS the case, they use pre rendered 3D backgrounds.
(Except in the upcoming BioHazard 4)

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Advertisement
I always thought that crappy controls were part of what made the RE series good, since it actually makes me afraid of the enemies. My favourite was in RE3, where you have a special button to press that will instantly turn you around 180 degrees. Sounds cool but if I was panicked I would accidentally double-tap it and poor Jill would run straight into the zombie she was trying to run away from. But it was cool because in real life people do stupid stuff when they're panicked

[edited by - XMark on January 10, 2004 9:04:38 AM]
The backgrounds in the GC RE1 (and RE0) are pre-rendered, but they are animated.

They probably use short MPEG2 video sequences for some backgrounds, that''s why it looks good.

As for the shadowing and dynamic lighting over the scenery, they use a similar trick as Alone In The Dark 4: there is a low polygon version of the pre-rendered scenery that is used for lighting, so a flashlight can properly light the surfaces and the depth shadows can properly project onto it.

But I think RE1 remake and RE0 uses pre-rendered z-buffers instead of low polygon models.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement