Why does GC resident evil remake look so good?

Started by
21 comments, last by iNfuSeD 20 years, 3 months ago
What techniques does the game resident evil on the gamecube use to create such a beautifully animated 3D environment with such smooth models? It doesn''t look like they use polygon models at all. Is it some form of raytracing? I played the game for the first time today and I was blown away. I''ve never seen anything like it. Does the GC hold some powerful graphic secrets that other consols cannot replicate?
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
Advertisement
Haven''t played it personally, nor inspected the tech, but I''d wager it''s just bump-mapping.

- It''s a life''s work
:Image Hosting @ $5/3 Months
:30Gig/month bandwidth Reseller Plan @ $40/3 Month
Generic WebHost: The Cheapest Hosting Around!

-ryan@lecherousjester.com
AFAIK the remake of RE1 for the GC uses renderered 3D backgrounds with 3D models for all dynamic objects such as characters and items.

MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
they must have polygon geometry models for the rendered backgrounds as well because the lighting effects are beautiful. When you shoot off a zombies dome, the bits of skull and brain drip off the walls. Candles and flickering lights cast your shadows over the ground and walls perfectly. Moon light shines through bars on windows, casting a siloheutte of tree branches blowing in the wind against the room you''re in. Light given off from your flamethrower casts shadows over the backdrops from any possible object that would cast a shadow. The lighting is way to dynamic for the backgrounds to be completely prerendered. After putting much thought into it I think its the lighting and particle effect portions of the graphics engine that made the game as beautiful as it was.
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
The secret is that even though the game probably knows the geometry of the backgrounds (at least an approximation of it), it doesn''t have to draw it. That lets the GC spend all its processing power on the very high-poly player/enemy models, as well as nifty effects like bump mapping and stencil shadows.

Most of the cool effects are also pre-rendered, such as the shadows casted on the environment caused by a lightning strike.
So its more a matter of amazing design in the restrictions of the technical environment they''re in. Capcom is an amazing company. I bow before them. Taking so little and making some of the best eyecandy I''ve seen on any console. This is only proof that you don''t need the next doom3 engine, just a little innovation.
quote:Original post by iNfuSeD
So its more a matter of amazing design in the restrictions of the technical environment they''re in.

Haha, funny one. While it may look pretty, its definatly not an example of good game design. The controls are god awful, the puzzles obtuse, and the restriction of pre-rendered backgrounds means that the camera angles are frequently terrible for actually playing the game.

On the graphics side for dynamic objects, they''ve got bumpmapping and a good variety of material properties that mean that diffuse and specular are weighted differently depending on the surface.

quote:Original post by OrangyTang
the restriction of pre-rendered backgrounds means that the camera angles are frequently terrible for actually playing the game.

I always thought the camera angles added to the fright factor. It''s unnerving moving your character farther from the camera, wondering if it will switch to a view where something is hiding in the shadow.
-solo (my site)
He just doesn''t like the game.
Fixed camera''s are indeed a tool to add surprises to the game, just like a movie would use it.
That''s uncommon in games, and sometimes VERY annoying, yet it definetly adds something, up to everyone to see if that something is worth the drawbacks.

I don''t think a FPS survival horror could be made, not played SilentHill too much, it''s third person and I think the camera is fixed relative to the player (that is, always floating over the right should, a little backward.)

anyway it''s all off topic.

ON TOPIC:
RE Rebirth simply uses as mentionned earlier pregenerated backgrounds, I would even said ''movies'' as background, that''s why lighting, water,... looks so good.
RE4 (I prefer the name BioHazard but well) is in full 3D, some videos are available on the web, it''s rather impressive.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I always thought the way Silent Hill 1 did some of their camera shots was WAY freakier, especially the one where it's a fixed overhead view until you pass a certain point and then it jerkily shifts up behind you, like someone was following/watching you. Scared the hell out of me when I first encountered it.

The Silent Hill series in general always did a better job of freaking me out than RE ever did. I rarely ever became frightened simply because the static camera angles made me feel detached from the situation, like I was watching it from a security camera, not actually playing the game.

[edited by - cableshaft on January 7, 2004 3:57:59 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement