Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ender2282

To C or not to C

Ender2282    122
Hello all, I was just thinking about learning C and if learning the language will make me a better programmer or make me think different about sloving problems. Or will learnig C just make me a crazy nut A little more info about me. I''m a 2nd year Computer Science major, did two courses in java (but I think I don''t really know that language yet) and learned some python by myself. I also have a bunch of math courses done to. Thank for any info and help.

Null and Void    1088
Sure, why not? I''ve "learned" a couple languages I never planned to use (and, hence, forget half of within a couple monthes) for fun and experience with what''s out there.

If you don''t like what you see (it will be lower level than Java or Python by quite a bit), you don''t have to force yourself through with it since it''s just "for fun" as of now. If you do like what you see, that''s one more language you can use when appropriate for whatever you want (or get forced) to write.

Ritual Magic    132
Well, where I was coming from was that going from C++ to C, there are no new concepts introduced (afaik - I could be wrong), making the actual language itself very easy to pick up. On the other hand going from C to C++ would require learning a fair number of new things, such as OOP and template programming. It''s a matter of perspective I guess Let''s agree to disagree

RM.

Ender2282    122
Thanks for all the comments. I already have 2 C books one is the classic text: The C Programming Language Second ED. and C Programming A Modern Approach. So I guess I should be all set to learn, well the language atleast. I can get Accelerated C++ too for around $30. That''s if I want to go ahead and learn C++ instead or even after I learn C.

furby100    102
If you''re learning Java, it would be a good idea to learn C++, rather than C. C++ has more features than Java and you''ll already be partly familiar with it.

retard    100
as a computer science major, you''re almost definitely going to have to learn and use C anyway for systems programming and operating systems classes, at least. i would definitely recommend at least learning some of it... alternatively you could start out picking up some C++, and C will be relatively easy after that.

Unidentified    136
C is pretty easy to learn and the C Programming Language is the best programming book I read, it though me a lot about programming in general since it was my second programming book. You should read another C book before you read that though if you decide to. I learned C first then moved to C++.

Aerolithe    122
Read The C Programming Language if you want to learn C. As far as if you should learn c, I would suggest you do. Also, if you don''t specifically want to know C# then I wouldn''t think you need a transition, the only reason I''d ever think you do is an easy language for your first one and even then I learned C with no experience in other languages and my school "teaches" C++ without previous experience and everyone does fine with it.