To C or not to C

Started by
9 comments, last by Ender2282 20 years, 3 months ago
Hello all, I was just thinking about learning C and if learning the language will make me a better programmer or make me think different about sloving problems. Or will learnig C just make me a crazy nut A little more info about me. I''m a 2nd year Computer Science major, did two courses in java (but I think I don''t really know that language yet) and learned some python by myself. I also have a bunch of math courses done to. Thank for any info and help.
Advertisement
Sure, why not? I''ve "learned" a couple languages I never planned to use (and, hence, forget half of within a couple monthes) for fun and experience with what''s out there.

If you don''t like what you see (it will be lower level than Java or Python by quite a bit), you don''t have to force yourself through with it since it''s just "for fun" as of now. If you do like what you see, that''s one more language you can use when appropriate for whatever you want (or get forced) to write.

Yes, learning new languages will likely make you a better programmer, but I would suggest that language be C++. If you go into gaming you will have to work with C++ most likely.

--
Dave Mikesell Software & Consulting
I would suggest C#, for these reasons:

Java -> C# = easy
C# -> C++ = moderately easy
C++ -> C = well, you pretty much know C, you just haven''t realised

RM.
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
I''d disagree about the ease of C++ -> C

C++ introduces things that I could not do in C; C -> C++ would be an easier transition
Well, where I was coming from was that going from C++ to C, there are no new concepts introduced (afaik - I could be wrong), making the actual language itself very easy to pick up. On the other hand going from C to C++ would require learning a fair number of new things, such as OOP and template programming. It''s a matter of perspective I guess Let''s agree to disagree

RM.
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
Thanks for all the comments. I already have 2 C books one is the classic text: The C Programming Language Second ED. and C Programming A Modern Approach. So I guess I should be all set to learn, well the language atleast. I can get Accelerated C++ too for around $30. That''s if I want to go ahead and learn C++ instead or even after I learn C.
If you''re learning Java, it would be a good idea to learn C++, rather than C. C++ has more features than Java and you''ll already be partly familiar with it.
as a computer science major, you''re almost definitely going to have to learn and use C anyway for systems programming and operating systems classes, at least. i would definitely recommend at least learning some of it... alternatively you could start out picking up some C++, and C will be relatively easy after that.
C is pretty easy to learn and the C Programming Language is the best programming book I read, it though me a lot about programming in general since it was my second programming book. You should read another C book before you read that though if you decide to. I learned C first then moved to C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement