Sphere Tree

Started by
4 comments, last by Doug Rogers 13 years, 2 months ago
I am trying to implememnt a sphere tree like what i read in a game programming gems book. Hopefully someone who is familiar with that can help me. The one think the article lacked that i didn''t understand is under what conditions to make new nodes, when to divide nodes, and when to combine nodes. I could attempt to make up my own set of rules, but if there is a definitively efficient way to do it, i''d like to not waste my time. Thanks.
Rodger
Advertisement
the method i used was to divide the modle into an octree, and then bound each octant with a sphere.

the more advanced method uses a weighted placement algorithm with the vertex density as the heuristic, i never tackled that one.

Dredd

"To die with your sword still in its sheath is most regrettable" -- Miyomoto Musashi

"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
well, yeah. that works, but i was trying to avoid the octree structure. can anyone tell me about that "weighted placement algorithm with the vertex density as the heuristic"?
Rodger
Here is a link to a decent resource. its in .pdf format.

there are a couple variations to this method, just search google using "sphere tree collision detection real time" and you''ll find the same resources i used to learn it.

Dredd

"To die with your sword still in its sheath is most regrettable" -- Miyomoto Musashi

"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
hello sphere tree developers;

actually am new to this area of collision detection. i read about using sphere tree in collision detection and how it is an accurate algorithm, but i do not know where I can start from or where i can get materials to help me.

I really need this urgently.

I would highly appreciate if any one can help.

Thank you in advance
'Dreddnafious said:

there are a couple variations to this method, just search google using "sphere tree collision detection real time" and you''ll find the same resources i used to learn it.

Dredd

'vrdev' said:

hello sphere tree developers;

actually am new to this area of collision detection. i read about using sphere tree in collision detection and how it is an accurate algorithm, but i do not know where I can start from or where i can get materials to help me.

I really need this urgently.

I would highly appreciate if any one can help.

Thank you in advance
'Dreddnafious said:

Dredd

Try here:
http://isg.cs.tcd.ie/spheretree/

Link to source code is at the bottom.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement