Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why my computer reads data from HD constantly (in real-time)?

This topic is 5089 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a problem here: - Why my computer reads data from HD constantly (in real-time)? My models and textures are not big and I''m sure that I have enough memory. It also takes an eternity to release the objects. Thanks for any help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
What are your system specs? How much physical and virtual memory does your machine have? Look at task manager while your program is running. How much memory is it using? Look at the total system usage. Are you running your program from your IDE? Sometimes that while take up much more memory that you would think.

My computer:

- AMD K6-III 400 MHz, 128 RAM, VideoCard TNT2 32Mb
- MS Windows 98 SE with DX9

Win98 doesn't have a good task manager like Win2000/XP/NT.
I can set the virtual memory in the system properties (at moment it is been managed by Win98), but, in this system, I can't find a tool that give me how much virtual memory is been used when a program is runing. Where could I find this tool?

system resources (%) = physical memory in use (%)?

[edited by - adriano_usp on January 7, 2004 3:44:11 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Are you sure 128 is enough? Remember that your application doesn''t get to use the whole thing, Windows can take around 20 or 30 megs or more, in addition to whatever else is running.

I know what is happening, but I don''t know why. My English is not good, but I will try to explain:

I''m using X files. Each X file contains many meshes. The vertices of each X file is saved into one vertexbuffer, so I parse the X to access the mesh that I want to render.

I made a test:
For each X file I just batched all meshes. So each X file now contains only one mesh, but the number of vertices is the same than before the batching. I run my game and the fps decreases a bit (because there are big meshes into the frustum now), but there is no memory problem (HD is not used) and the meshes are released in less than 1 second.

The question: If the number of vertices is the same than before, why many meshes into one X file cause memory problems?

that happened to me when i had just gotten this system from a thrift store, i had just put a geforce 4 mx 440-se pci in it, and a 200 gig hd, and when i ran half-life it did the same thing... it had 30 megs of physical ram, upgrading to 256(for 20 bucks, it was pc100 sdram) fixed it and now i have a, although 366 mghz, decent gaming pc.