The effects of depressurization on the human body

Started by
25 comments, last by black_mage_s 20 years, 3 months ago
I''ve always wondered about that, if there is no matter to transfer the heat, then how does the heat leave you?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by drarem
here''s an interesting site:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_127.html

talking about how water would react in a vacuum then space.. the website itself is an interesting look

Does that imply that when there is no pressure that water''s boiling point would be roughly the same as it''s freezing point?

[off_topic]I''m not sure whether I should have that comma in water''s, I think I should as it''s posessive)

Why do Suicide Bombers think they''re going to a better place?
Don''t they know their going all over the place?
the future is just like the past, just later. - TANSTAAFL
See vacuum flasks (thermoses).

[edited by - temp_ie_cant_thinkof_name on January 9, 2004 4:55:06 AM]
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
There was a similar thread to this a few months ago. If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that you would freeze, but because the heat transfer was so slow, you''d be long dead from exposure to the vaccuum before it became an issue.
quote:Original post by dede
Now, a very rapid depressurization will kill you right out. It is what they use to euthanize stray dogs. Throw them in a room, slowly compress the room, release the pressure, the dog dies quickly, painlessly and without needing to actually touch the dog itself.

Just like in Licence To Kill. I didn''t realise people actually did that.
quote:Original post by Tooko
Does that imply that when there is no pressure that water''s boiling point would be roughly the same as it''s freezing point?

It''s freezing point would be exactly equal to its boiling point in a vacuum. Like how carbon dioxide is at atmospheric pressure. Liquids only form above a certain pressure, the pressure at which the triple point is (the triple point is a pressure and temperature where solid, liquid and gas forms of the substance exist simultaneously). This is the behaviour of every pure substance.
quote:Original post by furby100
quote:Original post by dede
Now, a very rapid depressurization will kill you right out. It is what they use to euthanize stray dogs. Throw them in a room, slowly compress the room, release the pressure, the dog dies quickly, painlessly and without needing to actually touch the dog itself.

Just like in Licence To Kill. I didn''t realise people actually did that.

Yeah, but in License to Kill, the bit which is nearly always cut out, shows his head exploding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement