Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adam_

Faking low resolutions

adam_    122
Do you remember those old games like chrono trigger and zelda for snes. They used a really low resolution, probably 320x240. The game I am working on now is using 640x480 and I feel that is way to much to get the same look as previously mentioned games. Most monitors wont support a resolution below 640x480 in fullscreen. Is there someway to somehow fake a low resolution. Like using four pixels on the screen to display one from the game? Another idea I tought of right now is that there is probably someway to scale up images. So that a 32x32 tile will be 64x64 on screen? When I think about it again thats probably the same thing... Anyone has any ideas on this? If you do please share them with me =) Examples in code is always nice if that is possible. Thanks!

krez    443
in addition to using a 2x2 block of pixels for each "pixel", make sure you change the movement so everything moves by 2 pixels at a time...

and turn off filtering if you''re using OpenGL or D3D, so your big "pixels" don''t get blurred around the edges.

Lunatic Raven    122
If you use OpenGL, using the glOrtho function, you can set the "resolution" to whatever you want. It doesn''t really change the window''s resolution, but it changes the orthographic resolution within OpenGL.

Monder    993
Well if you''re using SDL, you could render all your stuff into an offscreen 320x240 buffer then you can resize the buffer''s image and then blit that to a 640x480 screen. To resize the buffer all you have to do is create a 640x480 image and then copy one pixel from the 320x240 image and put it as 4 pixels 640x480 image. That will give you a pixelated look, but it''s probably not what you''re looking for.

foofightr    130
I did this to achieve a retro look and feel for a game I made last month. I rendered everything to a 256x256 texture, and then rendered it as a textured quad (centered). I think it looked pretty retro.

I had to use a square texture because D3D needed it to be square. In my case, square screen was acceptable. If not, you could make simple conversion functions that convert 320x240 coordinates centered in a 512x512 texture. Then render it appropriately, to show the 320x240 that you rendered to.

maxd gaming    100
Just make all your graphics huge and pixelate them alittle bit actually I am quite serious, it may not be the best approach but it would work

It''s Maxd Gaming, put in an underscore and I will beat you with a rubber ducky!
{ Check out my Forum } { My First Space Art (Ever) }{ My Second Space Art (Ever) }{ My upcoming space mod for Battlefield: 1942. }
shurcool    439
Most monitors do support low resolutions (320x240, etc.), just not directly. They do exactly what you''re talking about - by displaying 320x240 images stretched onto a 640x480 resolution.

So if you create a 320x240 fullscreen OpenGL window, it will have only 320x240 pixels on the screen (and each one will be huge), but actually the monitor will be in 640x480 mode, displaying each pixels using 4 real pixels.

Or at least that''s how it works with my monitor''s driver (standard Windows one).

---
shurcooL`

Negitivefrags    100
Well, if you use windowed mode in direct X, then you can make a fullscreen window like you normaly would with windows calles, but give direct X 320*200 as the rendering surface size and it automaticly streaches out the surface to fit the window. Its easy as and no hassles. With the right creation calls for your Window, it will look like it is completely fullscreen (ie; no title bar or borders)

doynax    850
> Most monitors wont support a resolution below 640x480 in fullscreen.
I''ve come across a monitor or two that didn''t support 320x240 but only on laptops and unix workstations.
It''s a good idea to provide an option for scaling to a selectable resolution though but I wouldn''t declare 320x240 "dead" yet.