Class Function Problem

Started by
7 comments, last by Chryzmo 20 years, 3 months ago
Heyas, I currently have my project seperated in two classes. CGame and CMap. I need a function in CGame to be able to call a function in CMap(both are public members). I am not quite sure how to get this to work.

int main
{
CGame game;
CMap map;

//and so on...

}

CGame::GetInput()
{
// This is the definition of the GetInput() function from CGame(public)

//...

if (cBoard[mYPOS][mXPOS] == ''U'')
    {
        iCurrentLevel++;
        if (iCurrentLevel == 10)
        {
            map.LoadFile(); // Here is where I need to call a function from CMap

iCurrentLevel = 0;
            map.LoadMap(iCurrentLevel); // Here as well

} else {
            map.LoadMap(iCurrentLevel); // And finally here

}
    }
//...

}

The LoadMap function is a public member of CMap.

There error(in Dev-C++) is: TAGFunctions.cpp: In member function `void CGame::GetInput()'': TAGFunctions.cpp:90: `map'' undeclared (first use this function) TAGFunctions.cpp:90: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.) I think the problem is that when the code is compiled the function declarations are compiled before main.cpp and so the compiler cannot find the LoadMap function. I am not sure how to tell it to point to my CMap class. Maybe someone else can help? Thanks, Chris
Advertisement
map is local to the main() function.

Either make map global or pass a pointer to it to the game class

The CMap you declare in main() is only in the scope of main(). It cannot be accessed outside of its scope. You have to pass an instance of CMap to CGame, otherwise what is it suppose to operate on?

Do something like this:

CGame::GetInput(CMap& map)
Is there a way for a class to pass a pointer to itself as a function parameter?

For example:

void CGame::LaunchGame(){    CPlayer player; // Create an instance of CPlayer    CMap    map;    // Create an instance of CMap        map.LoadFile();    map.LoadMap();    while (gbGame == true)    {        map.Display();        map.GetInput(game); //This function needs to access a method of CGame    }}

Trying what AP said I get this error:

TAGGame.cpp: In member function `void CGame::LaunchGame()'':
TAGGame.cpp:28: `game'' undeclared (first use this function)

Thanks,
Chris
quote:Original post by Chryzmo
Is there a way for a class to pass a pointer to itself as a function parameter?

use the keyword "this"

also, another alternative would be to encapsulate a map inside game. Logically, in most games, the game "has a map" loaded.

If the cGame object needs a pointer to itself, as it sounds like you''re talking about most recently, it automatically has one.

Using the keyword "this" in an object''s method is the same as using a pointer to the individual object instance. For example:

this->cmap.loadmap() will run the loadmap function for the cmap of whatever object calls the function containing it.

Hope this helps! =)
-Vendal Thornheart=) Programming for a better tomorrow... well,for a better simulated tomorrow. ;)
aye, what he said =) lol, I always post a few seconds too late =)
-Vendal Thornheart=) Programming for a better tomorrow... well,for a better simulated tomorrow. ;)
quote:Original post by Polymorphic OOP

also, another alternative would be to encapsulate a map inside game. Logically, in most games, the game "has a map" loaded.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean to store the map itself in CGame or just junk the whole CMap class and put all those functions and variables into CGame?

quote:Original post by Chryzmo
Do you mean to store the map itself in CGame

Yes. IE

class CGame{/* Stuff */private:  CMap map_m;}; 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement