Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Angelus

3D Skeletal Character Animation

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any websites or information about how to animate characters based on skeletal information. Like by supplying the positions of the joints and the 3D Mesh would be changed according to the position of those joints. As the joinst move the 3D Character moves as well. If there are any better forms of Character Animation than 3D Skeletal transformation, I''d appreciate knowing. Thanks very much,

I too want to implement this in a demo.
The reason for using bone based animation is that you only have to store one set of data for the bone meshes.

Then you can import .bvh files which specify frames of animation for each bone.

I have the genesis3d source code which uses a similar technique with .mot files but I''d like to parse .bvh files which are pretty standard.

I''m still looking in my spare time for a good intro to reading the bvh format and modelers that export the correct .bdy or whatever is used for the meshes.

MCSE, MCSD, Sun Certified Java Programmer
Pimp Daddy ;)

I wasn''t really thinking anything format-specific, because I too don''t know what the .bvh or the .bdy file formats are.

Either way I want to develop a file format that would hold different positions for each joint in different frames, and each joint of the mesh can be deformed to fit where the joint position is defined.

Sorta like just positioning each joint, and the skeleton fits that position accordingly. By just specifying points that represent joints, the skeleton would connect the dots and assume a position.

Any sites or refs that anyone could give me on this topic?