• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Memir

KEYFRAMING [Interpolation, Rotation-Angles]

This topic is 6569 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, The 3D part of my lib. is getting really powerful now. I''ve built a Converter, which converts .ASE - > .M3D (Memir 3D)... My problemo dewds is: The keyframe data in 3ds MAX is pretty powerful/complex. It has like Bezier (sp?) interpolation etc. I only know how to do the standard interpolation, you know Linear interp. Can anyone tell me where I can find information on Keyframing (Key-Frame interpolation side of it). Also, I can succesfully interpolate (linearly) the Position/Translation & Scale of the objects. But Rotation is kinda fux0red-up. For example: (The rotation is stored in x,y,z, Theta - where x/y/z are -1 to 1, and Theta is just an angle) FRAME 0: (1,0,0 - 0 rads) FRAME 10: (0,0,1 - 3.14 rads) So how lets say, what is the (x,y,z - Theta) for Frame (n) where n is a value between 0 & 10. I hope this is clear enough. I''m sure if someone has done this Keyframing lark, then they would know what I''m on about. Thanks! /Memir

Advertisement
Well, if i understood correctly, you need something like this:
    F0: (1,0,0 - 0)
F1: (0.9,0,0.1 - 0.314)
F2: (0.8,0,0.2 - 0.628)
F3: (0.7,0,0.3 - 0.942)
F9: (0.1,0,0.9 - 2.826)
F10: (0,0,1 - 3.14)
auxrotx=(f[10].x-f[0].x)/10; // 10=(framenumber-1)
auxroty=(f[10].y-f[0].y)/10;
auxrotz=(f[10].z-f[0].z)/10;
auxangle=(f[10].angle-f[0].angle)/10;
for(i=1;i<10;i++)
// 1=(firstframenumber+1)
// 10=(lastframenumber)
{
f[ i ].x=f[0].x+auxrotx*i;
f[ i ].y=f[0].y+auxroty*i;
f[ i ].z=f[0].z+auxrotz*i;
f[ i ].angle=f[0].angle+auxangle*i;
}
And that's about it...

"Everything is relative." -- Even in the world of computers.

Edited by - Ionut Costica on July 21, 2000 5:41:04 PM

Thats what I first thought, But I was thinking:

The Angle "1,0,0 - 0" is the same as the Angle "0,1,0 - 0" and the same as "0,0,1 - 0" when we''re talking about rotation operation. i.e they all do nothing to the Rotation, they rotate the object by 0 Radians about the (1,0,0) Vector, or (0,1,0) Vector, or (0,0,1) Vector. Rotation of 0 Radians means do Jack-Shit.

Hence if I interpolate from (1,0,0 - 0) to (0,0,1 - 3.14), it *SHOULD* be the same as interpolating from (0,0,1 - 0) to (0,0,1 - 3.14)

I haven''t really tried the straightforward linear interpolation. This rotation around Axis stuff can get a little complex, so who knows I could have the Wrong concept of whats going on, in which case I''ll try a linear interpolation (But I have the feeling my Computer Will Go BOOOOOOM). But thats life - A total fux0ring mystery!!!

/Memir

I thought that 3dsmax did this exact thing. because the computer doesn't KNOW that (1,0,0-0)==(0,1,0-0)==(0,0,1)...
Maybe the easyest way would be if you put an if-statement and say:

check to see if u have 1, 2 or 3 rotations here that
will be transformed as we pass through the frames, and
only consider those that are BOTH in f[0] AND in f[10];
the rest put on 0.
example:
if(f[0].angle==0)
{
if(!(f[0].x&&f[10].x)) f[0].x=0;
if(!(f[0].y&&f[10].y)) f[0].y=0;
if(!(f[0].z&&f[10].z)) f[0].z=0;
}
if(f[10].angle=0)
{
if(!(f[0].x&&f[10].x)) f[10].x=0;
if(!(f[0].y&&f[10].y)) f[10].y=0;
if(!(f[0].z&&f[10].z)) f[10].z=0;
}

Now do the same stuff&calculations as i said in my previous post...

"Everything is relative." -- Even in the world of computers.

Edited by - Ionut Costica on July 21, 2000 7:45:35 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!