• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Despotismo

Advanced Enhanced 2D Question about alpha-mapping

This topic is 6542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to add alpha-blending capabilities to a 16-bit texture without switching to 32 bit-texturing (upgrading it to 8888) and not loosing quality (downgrading it to 4444). Is there a way to attach to a 16-bit texture an alpha-only texture (map), and to tell the API (d3d) to use color from my texture and alpha from the map? I've been investigating quite a while, but couldn't find any answers, just some vague ideas that this can be done. Edited by - Despotismo on 7/21/00 5:01:50 PM

Advertisement
You will need to use two different textures to do this. I haven't even moved up to 3d programming yet, but I know how to do this. Load one texture as a 16-bit normal texture, and another with 8-bit alpha. Then use texture stages to combine them.

// Load your textures here

// Combine the two
lpd3dDev->SetRenderState (D3DRENDERSTATE_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE);
lpd3dDev->SetTexture (0, texture);
lpd3dDev->SetTexture (1, alpha);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
// NOTE: I'm not sure if you have to set the alpha operation in texture stage 0. I did here just in case.
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG2);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG2);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (1, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (1, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);
lpd3dDev->SetTextureStageState (2, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);

// Then render the polygon that uses this texture. We're done!

I hope this helped. Please tell me if it worked for you or not.

Dave2001,
MAILTO(Forrester6@msn.com);

Edited by - Dave2001 on July 26, 2000 4:11:05 PM

I can''t get it working.

I guess that the code you sent is only for multiple-texture blending enabled HW. How can I separate this correctly into a multi-pass texture blend?

Another thing. The whole results depend only in the middle-tier internal texture representation. If my texture is 565, and I combine it through stages with an alpha-only texture, this will give me another texture that will be blended into de final polygon. If it happens that this middle internal texture is not alpha-capable, all the alpha information will be lost!

Do all cards support 32 bit textures, because, If I cant get this working, I can perfectly use 8888 pixel format, and achieve the effect. But I think that some cards (Voodoo1 & 2, for example) dont support 32 bit texs, so I must use 16 bit textures with 8 bit alpha maps. But if to do this I must demand that the card has multiple-tex blending, I would have the same high-profile 3d card problem, cause not every card supports this.

Thanks anyways,

Despotismo AKA Javier Otaegui
Sabarasa Entertainment
www.sabarasa.com.ar

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!