• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lithic

Good 3D export format

This topic is 5257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i posted on the 3D/2D artist one and it''s been days with no responce. I am looking for a good export format from 3D studio max that allows multiple texture maps, and is not saved in ascii. Poly count limit is not a very big burden since i will just import the meshes into my character editor and they will not have ridiculous numbers of polys. If you suggest a format, give the pros and cons of that suggestion. Thank you for your help. --===LITHIC===-- --===WWW.Decimation.TK===--

Advertisement
Use gmax and export as plasma (*.p3d). As a dev, you''ll have to pay for the SDK license however. But it makes it cool for the end users.

What''s been the most popular is quake 3 format (md3).

Here''s some info on how to do it (md3 style):
Planet Quake.

I''ve checked out several formats from 3DS to MD3 and decided it would be easiest to design my own export format that i can include all the features I need. Any helpful links for how to do this in 3DSMax? A plugin or maxscript perhaps?

--===LITHIC===--
--===WWW.Decimation.TK===--

See the .3ds exporter source code within the SDK.

-----------------------------
Amma

dotXSI file format, a file toolkit is available freely, also export/import plugins are available for SoftImageXSI, Maya, 3DSMax, and other popular 3D modeling software.

http://www.softimage.com/connect/xsi/

choose FTK on the left.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

I recommend doing it with Maxscript. It''ll be easier than using the Max SDK...even if you have no Maxscript experience, IMHO.

-John

Sign up for SPARKS developer aid on the discreet website, then search for the article ''Writing an exporter: tutorial'' or some such. It is a step by step guide on exporting data from max. While simplistic, it is a very good start. If you are trying to get into the industry, understanding the Max SDK is a good resume bullet point. I''d certainly hire someone WITH max SDK experience over someone without.

As Sphet says, http://sparks.discreet.com does have a decent tutorial on creating an exporter using the SDK. I believe it''s in their TechDocs section. Also, for Maxscript help, I''d recommend checking out the 3dsMax webboard at http://support.discreet.com.

Having said that, for an exporter, I''d still recommend using Maxscript. The only reason I''d consider using the SDK for an exporter is if you are exporting ridiculously large scenes that need the speed boost. Otherwise, I really do thing that Maxscript is the best tool for the job.

For what it''s worth, I think the SDK is the right tool to use for things Maxscript either can''t do, cant'' do well, or things where you need the speed boost from compiling. For instance, doing a custom Material is usually best done with the SDK, since Maxscript has some issues(both functionality and speed) with doing a custom Material. In fact, just about anything rendering related is best done via the SDK.

But again, for an exporter, Maxscript will let you do everything you need, it''ll be easier to do, and it''ll be easier to make it robust to any errors that may occur, which is an important factor when creating a robust exporter.

Just my $0.02...

-John

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!