Good 3D export format

Started by
14 comments, last by Lithic 20 years ago
A couple of things to consider. First, what do you want to export. Is it a mesh, an animated mesh, a game level, or an effect? Then, once it's exported, are you going to load it into your own game engine. Are you going to write the loader for that or use a 3D engine that's already developed and use it's loaders. You might want to go with your own format if that's the case, then you can get exactly what you want, but you gotta roll your own import/export stuff. Then which 3d modeling program are you going to use to build your meshes? I like Blender, it's free and it got some of the best character animation tools and support that I've ever seen. For 3d animated meshes for characters, I recomend the MD2 (quake 2) or MD3 (quake 3) format, for static, I'd go with either 3DS or OBJ. There are a bunch of free models out there to use a place holders until you get your own models (or just use the free ones if they work), Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Bob

[shameless plug]
My MD2 import/export script for Blender is at: My website
[/end shameless plug]

----------------------------------
Halfway down the trail to hell...

[edited by - scourage on January 18, 2004 9:09:43 AM]

[size="3"]Halfway down the trail to Hell...
Advertisement
Certainly maxscript is easier, but really make sure
that - as already has been said - you don''t need to create large files and that you don''t need to script plug-ins (materials, new nodes etc).

"ridiculously large scenes" - depends on the format, but i.e. using VRML and scenes with 150k - 200k tris (+ normals, materials, interaction-scripts etc) will create big files and it will take quite some time. The speed difference is not to underestimate.
I also had a big slow-down on writing to LAN-drives - this hasn''t been confirmed by other discreet-webboard-users but i think its anyway better to first write to a local disk and then to move the file to the LAN-drive.

The interface for scripted plug-ins for maxscript is limited. Materials are buggy and geometry plug-ins are quite limited, i.e. access to common node properties in the creation functions is not possible.

On the other hand, check out what the guru Bobo is doing!

Anyone has taken a deeper look into the XSI format? I think I heard or read somewhere that the motion builder format is good... but don''t knwo if its a open spec.
_________________Dom's Blog
quote:Original post by Dom77
Anyone has taken a deeper look into the XSI format? I think I heard or read somewhere that the motion builder format is good... but don''t knwo if its a open spec.

I use it, as does Half-Life 2, NAMCO, CAPCOM and other gaming firms.
The File Tool Kit makes it easy to access the file format, at a semantic level.

You can use if for everything, from single non animated objects to levels.
(You might want to tweak an instance mechanism for levels as none is provided.)

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
::For Scourage::

Hi, my name is juan david and i´m learning the great blender... i´m specially interested in making models for quake 2 games, i found your plugin to import/export md2 and obj, but i cannot get them to work...

Once i click the import md2 option, i get an error message and "check console", here´s how it looks:

and this is what consloe shows:

PleASE help....

PD: i´m using phython 2.3.3 and blender 2.32

[edited by - pielRoja on March 24, 2004 3:45:24 PM]
pielRoja:
I can''t get his scripts to work, either. They simply crash Blender on OS X, but it probably has more to do with the fact that Python support for the OS X blender is not exactly complete.
Hey, i got them to work. I was using python 233. uninstalling it, deleting all python references and downgrading to 223 worked.

Blender 2.32 still uses python22.dll not python23.dll.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement